The city of Geraldton


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Geraldton
June 11th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -28.7731, 114.611

We have been watching the weather now for a few days (since we had TV again) and they keep forecasting rain, but we woke again to blue skies and sunshine. David is still in shorts but it is getting cooler the further south we go.

Geraldton is huge with a population of 40,000. That is more people than we have seen in 7 weeks!
They even have a Target!!! The vibe here is very active and becoming cosmopolitan with renovations to the foreshore and building massive homes on every vantage point available. Geraldton is very hilly and the amount of money spent on some retainer walls would pay for a house. The port is enormous and there have been 6 huge ships out on the horizon and more in the port.

We took a look at the HMAS Sydney Memorial. This place is dedicated to the 645 sailors who lost their lives in 1941. The bronze figure of the woman (The Waiting Woman) is a representation of the woman looking out to sea grieving for lost loved ones. The 645 seagulls represent the hands lost at sea. The eternal flame is designed to represent the bow of the ship and the propeller is where the wreaths are laid on Anzac Day. The seagull flying in the pool points to where the ship lies 2.5km below the surface out from Shark Bay. There are 2 stunning black granite curved walls that list all the crew on board. This is a very emotional place when reading all the names of the men lost. No Survivors.

We decided to stay another night in Geraldton instead of free camping at Lake Indoon, so this gave us time to visit the Alinta Wind farm where you can get up close to the wind turbine. Wow are they massive. There are enough turbines to power all of Geraldton.
We called in to visit Maley House that has been restored and went on to Ellendale Pool. This is a fantastic spot where you can camp for 3 nights at $5 per night. Beautiful it may be but apparently the water gets so warm there are sign warning of meningitis so we didn't go near the water.

So far NO RAIN but very windy. We have heard WA stands for Windy Always and it seems to be fairly accurate down south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



13th June 2013

WA stands for windy allways -- haha dave and lyns bottom !!! bahahahahaha !Sorry cant go on this site while we are away as the ship has crap internet reception and costs the earth. Never mind will fill yas in when we get back ! xxBit worrie
d about Turkey at the moment but Im sure the captain wont go there if its unsafe !!
16th June 2013

Howdy nomads! Geraldton looks great. Lots of special memories of all places and the blog is a great album to keep and remember. Not long now - of course I have missed you - only had Kay to call shorty - i mean shortest!!! Cheers

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb