Rottnest Channel Swim and Cliff Jumping


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
February 21st 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Good morning! It's 9:30am here and i have just returned from the morning's outting to Cottesloe Beach where we watched thousands of swimmers start a grueling 19.2km swim from Cottesloe to Rottnest Island. This happens once a year and we had to wake up before the sun at 6am so that we could get a good spot down at the beach to watch the first wave of people set off.

The view out onto the ocean was absolutely stunning. It was so hot too that early which was lovely wake up to, it definitely beats the freezing walk along the Thames to the tube station that i used to do every morning! We had a perfectly clear view of Rottnest and there were oil tankers, cruise liners, big boats, little boats, kayaks, jet skis and canoes all in view. The smaller boats would be supporting the swimmers. Some people did it in teams of 4, they would swim for 20 minutes each, then 10, then 5 and so on and swim the last 1km together. Just sitting there watching it really made you want to take part! It will be another couple of hours or so until the first swimmers arrive at Rottnest, no doubt to be greeted with a towel and a cold beer to celebrate their victory over the Rottnest Channel.

It was such a great way to start the day.

It's 8.45 in the evening here now and i'm settling in for the evening after a very busy day.

Went for a wander around Fremantle town centre and Fremantle Markets for lunch, it's such a beautiful little Victorian town. We found a nice little cafe on 'cappuccino strip' for lunch and refreshed ourself with lots of water as today it was about 40degrees. As it was so hot today, when we got back from town i was taken to Blackwall Reach along the Swan River to go cliff jumping! It was a little bit scary at first but after the first jump i just kept climbing back up for more! (Great adrenaline rush! As if we hadn't tired ourselves out enough we headed down to South Beach, Fremantle for an afternoon swim in the ocean.

After all that i am ready for an early night as tomorrow we are heading over to Herrison Island, Perth for an all day music festival.

Lots of love from Fremantle, WA.

Danielle xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb