2 girls & Buddy on a road- trip!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
September 26th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Graceful at playGraceful at playGraceful at play

They wouldn't let me play.....
Hi there, I haven't fallen off the face of the planet....
Well who knew Australia would be so flipping cold?? We arrived here just over a week ago, first stop Perth & I was glad I acquired a blanket from the airline cause it's like being back home except without any of the clothes to keep you warm.

So for the last week we've been cruising the west coast....ok we only went a down as far as Margaret River but the further south we went the colder it got so we hastily made our way back to Fremantle where we've been for a few days now.

We hired a van to drive the west coast....didn't get off to a great start...only got 50 km out of Perth when the clutch went so sat on the highway for a few hours which is a scary experience in itself as the massive lorries trundle by nearly taking you with them....anyway after a few hours we were towed back to Perth & the next day we got a new van....he's been christened Buddy cause he'll hopefully get us the 4500km or so up to Darwin without any major incidents!!

We stopped
Smiling at youSmiling at youSmiling at you

The 3 musketeers!
in a few wineries along the way to Margaret River...you could really have a nice Sunday afternoon visting them all....just make sure there is someone to drive because all those samples add up....we've been to Bunbury where we happened to see some dolphins swimming in the harbour.... Yallingup with it's beautiful beach walks....Margaret River with enormous waves....no I didn't fancy giving it a go.....I wouldn't be here to tell the tale....then Busselton...more beach.....then Fremantle....Rottnest Island....a nice nature reserve....& today we went whale watching....yes we saw 2 humpback whales but to be honest I was just relieved that the boat stopped cause it was taking all my will to stop from puking up....sea was so rough!!

First impressions of Australia....very clean & orderly.....scenery is absolutely beautiful!! Have never seen a place with so many public toilets &......they all have toilet paper so can stop carrying it around in the pocket which is a must in Asia!! However there have been a few rough nights in Buddy.....dying of hypothermia is high up there with being eaten by sharks, crocs.....when we were in Asia I didn't think I could ever feel cold again & dumped everything that provided any type of insulation....so
Kalbarri's finest pelicansKalbarri's finest pelicansKalbarri's finest pelicans

Through the haze of flies, they waddled to the shore for their free meal.....Australia is great for feeding the willife- me included!!
every night that I look down to see if my toes are still there or fallen off from frostbite.....I mourn the loss of my jumpers, trousers...socks!! But not to worry I believe that once we start up northwards we'll perish with the heat so lets get motoring Buddy!!!

We've been staying in caravan parks & cooking in Buddy cause we can't afford the luxury of eating out for breakfast, lunch & dinner anymore.....you really notice the money flying out of your purse here.....quite expensive in the supermarket!! More so than home!! But it's nice to be self-sufficient. It's so much fun driving around in the van........even though it's only the 2 of us apart from the odd night we meet others on sites....we haven't stopped laughing.....& there have been a lot of dizzy moments!!! We're learning!!

Well best go...internet here is at a premium......lets hope Buddy's clutch holds out & gets us to Darwin....say a prayer!! From here on we're on the lookout for kangaroos, wild camels & wild Australians....we have a bumper, a hurly, a stanly knife & a tank full of petrol so hopefully we'll be grand.
Anyway best go.....time for bed....the pilgrimage up north begins
BunburyBunburyBunbury

Back in the cold days......very orderly city like it was taken from a TV set.
in the morning.

Love Alison 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Not just a pretty faceNot just a pretty face
Not just a pretty face

Zoom in on the writing on the clock.....that's our motto....not a bad one so we knicked it!
Rottnest IslandRottnest Island
Rottnest Island

Feeling at home in the nature reserve.......great sunning potential apart from the gale force winds blowing from the sea.
Sunset in YallingupSunset in Yallingup
Sunset in Yallingup

Doesn't get much better......& this happens every day....
Reef sharksReef sharks
Reef sharks

Coral bay's gray reef sharks.....& they didn't even take a one bite.
Shark BayShark Bay
Shark Bay

Eagle's Bluff but not a shark or an eagle in sight so afraid you ended up with me.
Monkey MiaMonkey Mia
Monkey Mia

The dolphins didn't disappoint....a must-see on the west coast......& I've loads more photos just like that!
Supporting the local fish-mongerSupporting the local fish-monger
Supporting the local fish-monger

We splurged on a groper fish in Geraldton....& it was worth it.....very hard to go back to the tinned stuff after that!
Buddy's catching the rays at Cable Beach in BroomeBuddy's catching the rays at Cable Beach in Broome
Buddy's catching the rays at Cable Beach in Broome

That's Buddy in the back.....don't all talk at once...he's shy.
Coral BayCoral Bay
Coral Bay

After the rush of the day the ship sets sail......
Buddy's front grill & the long road aheadBuddy's front grill & the long road ahead
Buddy's front grill & the long road ahead

We thought the grill was for the kangaroos.....as if that'd stop em....no it's for the monster insects!!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb