Windjana to Larrawa Cattle Station


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post


Packed up and off again, down the same road to Tunnel Creek (Fairfield, Leopald Rd) Rougher than most roads with its corrugations, large rocks and creek crossings.
We passed a couple of large cattle stations where the Brahma cattle grazed on the lush green grass along the dry creek beds.
Approximately 20km's off the Northern Highway we stopped for some large rocks that looked and felt like razor blades stacked on top of one another. Here we climbed up to a natural window in the rock. This area was heavily populated with Boab trees.
Meeting the Northern Highway and the seal we breathed a sigh of relief, sealed smooth road.
Not far on the Highway and we arrived at Fitzroy Crossing.
The town to appeared to have a good community blend of Aboriginals and Europeans. A number of Aboriginal Communities run enterprises in the town, such as the Tarunda Supermarket, Crossing Inn and Ngiyali Roadhouse.
The town is located on the banks of one of the largest rivers in Australia with a catchment of 90,000 square kms. The town is 114m above sea and is surrounded by flood plains of the Fitzroy River.
Allegedly The Fitzroy Valley contains the best cattle country in the Kimberly and that's what attracted European settlement.
Here we visited the tourist information and then drove 11km further North to Geikie Gorge.
The 350 million year old Devonian Reef provides the major landform contrast in the area
Time and the 34 degree temperature not in our favour we walked only 1/2 of the Jarramabayah walk.
Back in the car we drove the old Fitzroy Crossing road and crossed the old bridge. Water flowing in the river.
On to the main road we travelled to Ngumbar Cliffs, where we had a toilet and snack stop. Peter unwell, nauseated and migraine. A stray starving dog was under the a shelter so we gave it some of our tuna snack and water.
Back on the road a short distance and we turned off the Highway into Larrawa Station.
A working Cattle Station and mustering time, most of the cattle an hour from home.
The camp just a part of a paddock with corrugated iron and concrete floor amenity blocks, basic and clean with large shower heads and hot running water.
The Lady of the station (Julie) was lovely and we purchased some free range eggs. We informed Julie of the stray dog we had seen and she said that she would check it out tomorrow.
Apart from a couple of other people and the kids attending a fellow campers third birthday party, it was a quiet camp.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb