Swimming with Whale Sharks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth » the city
May 18th 2006
Published: May 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we got a boat to swim with whale sharks...which not only are the biggest shark but also the biggest fish in the world!
We got on the boat and were told that we would just drive out to a dive site, so the divers could do their dive and we could have a snorkel, and get used to hearing directions for when we would swim with the whale shark. So that was fine, the divers got ready and literally just hit the water - and managed to drop right on top of a whale shark! All we heard was "whale shark, whale shark - get ready", so instead of the normal first snorkel etc we literally just jumped in on a whale shark...it was so exciting. You have to sit on the back of the boat, and usually the spotter jumps in first then we have to wait for "GO GO GO", and you just jump in the foaming sea (well it was that day), and try and follow the spotter with their arm in the air.


The first time Irene took off like a bullet and swam alongside it for ages and I really only saw the back of it. However, the second time I swam alongside it for ages....it was about 10 metres long by 4 metres wide, it was just incredible to be in the water literally right beside it!
The whole day was really good though, we went for a good few drops with the whale shark, then we snorkeled along Ningaloo Reef and I saw Reef Sharks (!) and loads of other pretty fish.
Then at the end we saw a humpback whale alongside the boat...nobody could believe it...especially after we literally jumped in on top of a whale shark. Like, they have planes in the air all especially just to spot them and we just "happened" across one!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb