Carnarvon to Exmouth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
June 7th 2012
Published: June 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left the blowholes campsite at about 8:45 am and headed towards Exmouth. We followed a mob of wild sheep with long tails along the road until they eventually decided to leave the road.



We had morning tea at Minilya river and roadhouse. Workers were just installing new toilets at the parking/camping area just south of the Minilya bridge, and it looks like it will now be a good free campsite. The roadhouse is just the other side of the bridge and has paid campsites. The river was dry sand with nice trees along the edges, the boys had a nice run.



We stopped for lunch further towards Exmouth. A wild bull wandered by. We also stopped to look at a massive termite mound. There are lots around here. The country has low grasses and much of the terrain approaching Exmouth is very flat; although as you get closer the Cape Ranges come into view. We also passed the RAAF base at Learmonth.



We went into the visitor’s centre when we got to Exmouth mid afternoon; unfortunately no vacancies in the Cape Range National Park tonight. We noticed on the brochure that campers can stay there up to 28 days – no wonder it’s often full!! We booked into the Ningaloo Caravan and Holiday resort instead and will head out to the park tomorrow. The boys had a swim in the pool and we had a shower – nice after the “small baths” we’ve had lately!



We also needed to print an email for some personal business matters. We picked up a sheet from the visitor’s centre noting 8 places with email, most with printing... I visited 5 of them and they were all either closed, had technical problems, or did not offer printing. We’ll need to try again another day I guess!



Alex and Kyle made friends with a 9 year old, Heath, from Geraldton who is travelling with his family for 3 years! We thought 4 months was a while.



Mike cooked a barbeque for dinner and the boys giggled long after lights-out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb