Photo backlog & adapting to change


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
November 8th 2005
Published: November 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Goanna surgeryGoanna surgeryGoanna surgery

Robyn managing the anaesthetic, Helen watching heartbeat, Peggy surgeon (performing CPR!). All in order to remove a data logger and insert a new one so body temperatures and location can be found.
Well, there is always a silver lining to everything! I started my PADI dive course yesterday and had ear problems even 1 foot underwater in the pool.... so going to have the dive medical this afternoon anyway, if only to find out what the problem is. Hopefully it is temporary and I can complete my dive training later in the trip. If not, well you see a lot snorkelling anyway.
There are at least 2 good things as a result though - one I now have time to see some things on the west coast on the way to Perth -e.g. the stromatolites and Shark Bay / Monkey Mia (dolphins) and the Pinnacles (weird rocks near Cervantes) and two I have some time to get some photos on to the web. At long last I hear you say. OK, only as far as Kakadu which was about 3 weeks ago so I am still somewhat behind - the Kimberley ones will have to wait a little longer.
hope to be in Perth by Sunday/Monday for a week or so - lots to see and do around there - Freemantle, Rottnest Island etc and then the long awaited train trip across the
Operation Operation Operation

just be glad I have not put the pictures of the echidna autopsy on here!
Nullaboor Plain - I think I need to smarten up a bit before the 1st class travel stage. Anyway, on to the technical challenge of photo loading... bye for now Hxx
Right - I'm pretty pleased with myself for managing that! Great to find an internet place that let me sort the photos out first for free.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Baby echidnaBaby echidna
Baby echidna

alias something like Jabba the Hut from Star Wars. A baby echidna is called a 'puggle'. Eventually it will look like it has 5 o'clock shadow where the spines start.
Helen and goannaHelen and goanna
Helen and goanna

Getting better at handling new things (!). Also snakes in Alice and licking a green ant's backside in Kakadu (mmm tastes of lemon).
Kangaroos for LaurenKangaroos for Lauren
Kangaroos for Lauren

Saw more kangaroos and wallabies in the 2 weeks on Kangaroo Island than in the rest of the time.
At work - kangaroo outsideAt work - kangaroo outside
At work - kangaroo outside

better than the view from my last office!
The groupThe group
The group

The volunteers and staff 1st - 14th October 2005 Pelican Lagoon. Back row: Bob, Mike, Peggy, Coral, Violet, Nancy. Front row: Robyn, Nelson, John, Ricky.
The Todd RiverThe Todd River
The Todd River

most of the time this doesn't flow - the Henley-on-Todd regatta is held in September with bottomless boats and people that can run fast. However, when I was there, the Todd starting flowing - if you see it flow 5 times you can call yourself a local...
Me at Kata TjutaMe at Kata Tjuta
Me at Kata Tjuta

also known as the Olgas (European name). Amazing rocks - especially as it was raining and the water was running off them.
Uluru up closeUluru up close
Uluru up close

on the base walk around Uluru. Much of it you cannot photograph because it is of significance to the women or men of the local Aborigine group. I ought to remember which one it is, but can't - information overload...
I was thereI was there
I was there

One of the best bits of the Red Centre trip for me - walking around Uluru - without the whole group!
If you see a crocodile...If you see a crocodile...
If you see a crocodile...

...don't forget to scream.
And another oneAnd another one
And another one

don't row your boat down the Adelaide River, especially when the crocodile cruise is offering raw meat to get the crocs to jump!
Sunset in KakaduSunset in Kakadu
Sunset in Kakadu

I think this is at a place called Yellow River. The 'log' in the foreground is a crocodile.
Rock ArtRock Art
Rock Art

Kakadu was a mixture of rivers, billabongs, escarpments, rock art, waterfalls - great diversity of wildlife. It means that the groups of Aborigines that have lived here had plenty of time to indulge their artistic sides - hunting and gathering is relatively easy in this area.
Wonderful waterfallsWonderful waterfalls
Wonderful waterfalls

Great pools to swim in - as it was the end of the dry season, fairly sure no salties (saltwater crocs) in there. didn't stay in too long though. also horrible (feral / pest) cane toads had invaded.
TermitesTermites
Termites

when you consider the size of termites, it makes these mounds even more amazing.


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb