Eucla (Friday 26th April - Saturday 27th April)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Eucla
April 27th 2013
Published: May 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A long day spent in the car, hot, dry, dusty, one long and straight bitumen road skirted by small shrubs and not a tree in sight, where else but the Nullarbor Plain. Yet half way along the Bight and a short drive toward the coast and we are given an amazing panorama of the waves crashing against the 80m cliffs of the Great Australian Bight. One can only imagine what the early explorer's thought when they circumnavigated this beautiful and yet treacherous expanse of the coast. We stopped at Head of Bight to view these 80m tall Bunda Cliffs of the Bight and hopefully we'll see some Whale's here on our way back! Next time we decide to do a seven hour driving day we won't do it when there's 3-4m of swell and northerly winds! The corduroy lines from the head of the Bight were doing my head in.

We were prepared for the WA strict quarantine search and had made it out mission to use up all of our fresh fruit and vegetables before we hit the border, mission achieved! After surviving the car and caravan search we crossed the invisible line into Western Australia. We headed straight for the old telegraph station at Eucla and set up camp beside the ruins. What a spectacular vista as the sun set over the crumbling ruins of the Telegraph Station and the sweeping sandhills beyond.

We were joined by the Gordan family at our secluded camp and enjoyed a curry under the stars!

Odyssey Issue No. 3 - Caravan fridge mysteriously stops working!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement





Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb