DAY 3 BORDER VILLAGE-EUCLA ENVIRONMENT


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Eucla
June 11th 2022
Published: June 11th 2022
Edit Blog Post

DAY 3 BORDER VILLAGE-EUCLA ENVIRONMENT

Today was a ‘very fun’ day. We made our way to the Telegraph Station Ruins and then take the sandy track to the Eucla Jetty which still has sections withstanding the pounding from the Southern Ocean. We spotted something, ‘large and black’, moving about in the water about 5-10m from the outer end of the jetty. Initially I suggested whale (stupid suggestion), Jane shark (really stupid suggestion) and we both thought it was a seal (a realistic suggestion). Even with the powerful binoculars we still couldn’t positively identify, so we settled on, “marine animal’ (a suggestion to settle the discussion).

We made our way to the Nullarbor Links Golf course. We’d say we need a hands-on coaching session from Perth’s own 2022 US Women Open Golf Champion, Minjee Lee. We both scored an even par 4. Considering we used my hiking pole and a small stone; it was a good hole!



After a filling lunch back at the camper it was into the unknown. Guided by Jane’s “maps.me”, we took a very stony, rough track towards (so the app said) the Great Australian Bight. The cliffs are 65m high and stretch
for more than 200kms to the Head of Bight (you read it correctly/I wrote it correctly). They are washed and smashed by the mighty Southern Ocean, with its powerful swells coming all the way from Antarctica. Hence, when standing here one is on the edge of the longest line of sea cliffs in the world. Tomorrow we will stand at the Head of Bight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement













Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb