Some Flowers


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Dongara
September 21st 2019
Published: September 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Another lovely day dawned, so Alan and I walked along the sea shore towards the fisherman's lookout, with great views over the ocean. There were some hardy surfers out in the bay. We found the local shops with all we needed, plus a fish shop selling freshly caught red snappers. We definitely need to have fish to eat when we are by the sea!

We packed a picnic and and set off approx 55km inland to Mingenew, where we stopped to explore the wild flowers. We climbed Depot Hill, which was so called as it was a training area for Australian soldiers who were going to fight in the WW2. The flowers and plants are so different and interesting. It is amazing that they manage to grow in what seems to be a very difficult climate. The only negative was the persistent flies, but waving a branch of wattle leaves kept them at bay.

It was interesting to see the vast wheat fields, which cover large areas inland from the coast. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. Australia produces approx 32 million tons of cereal grains per annum, which is a huge amount considering the dry conditions where it grows.

We had a walk along the sea shore this evening, but the strong winds made the going difficult. This didn't deter the fishermen who were casting their lines off the rocky harbour groin.

We enjoyed sundowners and snacks on our patio overlooking the sea, where the sun was setting into the Indian Ocean.

It is definitely getting warmer and tomorrow we will be going to Geraldton for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb