Tunnel Creek and Derby (that's 'Derrby' not 'Darby'!)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
November 12th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The next morning I sat up in the front of the truck with Ian and made sure we had some good tunes! We went to Windjana Gorge first thing which was just next to our camp. Couldn't believe that we were standing over what was once a big reef, thousands of years ago. We spotted a few fossils in the rocks and walked down to the riverbank where there was a handful of crocs (what's the name for a group of crocodiles? A snapper of crocs?!) and went round the corner to pose for pictures with a freshie just a metre away from us! Although I felt real fear when it moved! After lots of fun with our cameras (we're so mature) we headed back to the bus and set off for the site of an old prison.

Ian told us the legend of Jandamarra, an Aboriginal known as the 'Magic Man' who outwitted the police by hiding in and around Tunnel Creek as he knew the landscape like the back of his hand. We then walked to the Creek where we took our shoes to walk through the caves, through the sand and the cold waters. There were lots of bats which were quite scary flying about when you shine your torch on them. In the middle of the cave we climbed up the rocks into a narrow, most blackest cave I have ever been to - switch off your torch and there's no light, no noise, nothing. In there was the softest sand under our feet, almost like velvet, and big stalagtites. It was hard to imagine how Jandamarra was able to sense his way through with no torch, but there were some good hidey holes that the police would never detect.

Back down the rocks and out the other side of the cave we saw a big water monitor lizard laying out in the sun, which we managed to get quite close to for the obligitory pictures. Ian revealed some hidden aboriginal drawings, which depicted a pregnant woman and child - it was the place for women to give birth, under cover of the rocks.

Back through the Creek and onto Derby (pronounced Derrby not Darby!) which is a quiet port town not too far away from Broome. We stopped down the road at the Boab Prison Tree, where Aboriginal prisoners were taken and made to wait for seven days, having walked 20-30kms a day through the outback, which sounded awful. The flies were going completely crazy around there though so it was a welcome relief to get back in the truck - it's enough to make you scream!

Just half an hour to Broome where we were driven round the town as the sun was setting, and had a glimpse of the gorgeous sunset on the beach before getting out a Cable Beach Backpackers Hostel, which was to be our home for the next two nights. (Staying in one place for more than a day woohoo!) Glad to get some washing done and sat with the group enjoying an Eagle Boys Pizza before hanging out in the hammock with Carol til late which was so comfy!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb