And on to Albany & Denmark


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Denmark
October 11th 2007
Published: October 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I think it’s Wednesday 10th, but we’re already beginning to lose track of time. Can’t believe it’s only just over a week since we left home, we seem to have seen so much already.

Kings Park in Perth was fantastic with spectacular views over the city and the Swan River and we had a great day there. We went on a ‘bush walk’ with one of the guides who explained all about the trees and wildflowers. We walked more or less all day - heading back to the ferry through the skyscrapers in the business district rather than getting the bus. Believe it or not it started to rain!! Absolutely whacked by the time we got back - a good job we were picking the car up next day because both ready for a rest! It absolutely bucketed down over night and was a very grey Monday morning - just like being home.

The long drive down to Albany on Monday - it took us about 5 hours with a rest for lunch at a road café. Arrived in a very wet and windy Albany about half 4, with no accommodation, so went to the visit or centre where they sort it all out for you! Ended up staying in a very nice B&B (Albany Harbour Panorama) with fantastic harbour views and a big covered balcony. Unfortunately it was too wet and windy to make use of it! We liked Albany but definitely didn’t see it at its best. Apart from anything else it’s been flipping cold and I didn’t come prepared for that. I only brought a thin cotton cardi and pullover and I’ve had to wear them both together, even though I look a plonker!! This is Australia!!!

Spectacular scenery makes up for the weather, however. Rugged granite cliffs pounded by the Southern Ocean, and then lovely beaches with powder white sand. Definitely not beach weather though.

We’ve stayed 2 nights in a lovely place just outside Denmark, which is a tiny town, still on the coast but in the forests. We stayed at the Observatory Resort up in the hills behind Denmark, with great views over wooded valleys or back to the sea. Been to one of the forest national parks today and done a ‘treetop walk’, which is a suspended walkway in the tree canopy about 40m up. It was great - Australia certainly knows how to make the most of their national parks, always coming up with something that bit different. The tall trees are impressive, but I didn’t find them as awe-inspiring as the Californian redwoods.

Moving on again tomorrow, and the weather is forecast to improve - I’ll probably soon be moaning that it’s too hot. We’re making out slow way back up to Perth through the Margaret River wine region ready to fly out of Perth early on Monday morning.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb