KALBARRI to CARNARVON


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Denham
June 27th 2010
Published: June 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dolphin QueenDolphin QueenDolphin Queen

Rhonda 'fishing'.
Our one challenge now is to get to where it is warm all the time. Luckily, the weather has been kind to us and has mostly been suited to shorts and T-shirts. It is still getting cool overnight and has become quite windy. It seems that we may have to wait for Broome for the warmer climate. Yes, we know, we would have something to complain about if we were at home. We’re not complaining, just commenting.

We have now booked ahead for the next couple of weeks. When we tried to book Coral Bay there were no sites in town! School holidays begin on the 3rd of July. Oops! So then we rang Exmouth to find nothing available for July or August. Guess who started to panic?

Rhonda tried to book again the next day with much more luck. We now have four nights in Coral Bay and ten nights in Exmouth booked. Lucky! We expect a few hassles until we get around to Darwin but something will fall into place. Hopefully!

KALBARRI



What a gem of a spot. After a bad
Caravan SunsetCaravan SunsetCaravan Sunset

Sunset from the van in Kalbarri
caravan park in Greenough, we were given a super site in Kalbarri. It was a drive-through site with its own cabana and vehicle parking as well. From the van we were looking out over the Murchison River and the Ocean where the sun sets.

The boat harbor is in the river and access to the ocean is treacherous. Even the locals have to carefully wend their way out through the river mouth. It’s not one to tackle without local knowledge.
The ocean was tumbling in on this part of the coast. Overnight the waves sounded as though they were crashing only fifty meters away when they were hundreds of meters from us.

Kalbarri National Park

The Kalbarri National Park was only 30 klm out of town. The gorges are set along the course of the Murchison River and are unique to that area. We had a really good time walking the trails to each of the vantage points such as Nature’s Window and The Z Bend. Water doesn’t flow down the river very often, but when it does, the gorges would be really spectacular as they can have up to ten meters of water pass through.
Natural BridgeNatural BridgeNatural Bridge

Waves at work on Kalbarri Coastal Park.

Kalbarri Coastal Cliffs

We love the coast and there are a number of spectacular views from the many lookouts along the coastal cliffs near to Kalbarri. We took lots of photos and spent ages watching dolphins at play. We saw another two whales as well but they were a long way out.

Port Gregory

60 klm south of Kalbarri, you will find Port Gregory town. It is small with very few services but does have a caravan park and general store. We went there to see the Pink Lake that we had spotted on the way to Kalbarri. The lake does look pink in full sun. The reason for that is an algae found in some salt lakes. It was very interesting.

Rainbow Jungle

The parrot habitat and breeding facilities in the Rainbow Jungle is very well set up and maintained. It is an enclosed huge jungle of plants and subtle cages holding hundreds of birds. We took over one hundred photos of parrots housed in nine different zones. This was another unexpected experience on this journey. We loved it.

River Cruise

On our last night in Kalbarri, we decided to
IdyllicIdyllicIdyllic

These guys crossed the river to the peninsula near the river mouth.
take a cruise of the river. The boat was a twin diesel driven jet boat with a draft of just 150 mm. It can carry up to fifty passengers and can be difficult to steer in strong winds or currents. As we went upstream, the water was very, very shallow.

The trip was most interesting with the skipper passing on some history of the area and spotting wild goats, birds and different kangaroos and wallabies. It was finished by taking sunset photos in the turbulent wash near the river mouth.

DENHAM



We came into Denham primarily to visit Monkey Mia. What we found was a nice little fishing village on the shores of Shark Bay. Shallow and calm waters give protection to the boats moored there. There are several jetties and a small but interesting shopping strip. No banks but ATM’s are easily located.
We had a waterfront site with nice views across the bay and box hedge protecting us from the wind. The surface of the site was a fine shell grit that was flat and smooth and comfortable to walk on.

Monkey Mia

Feeding of the dolphins takes place from 7.30am
Pink LakePink LakePink Lake

Port Gregory's local attraction.
and up to two more later in the morning. It meant an early start for us. With 30 klm to get there, we set off at 7.45am and arrived in time to miss the first session! Guess who was in trouble? We enjoyed the second one luckily and so all was sweet. It is a very controlled process. The old days of everyone mingling with the dolphins in the water has gone. Everyone is confined to the beach and a few visitors are selected to feed a fish to a dolphin. No, we weren’t selected.

Off we went for a coffee and a little retail therapy. When we came back past the feeding area we noted a small crowd gathered for another session so we wandered over. Rhonda got the nod and so all was happy in paradise.

Ocean Park

As there wasn’t a lot to do around Denham, we set off back down the coast to see what was happening. On the way we came across and Ocean Park sign. We have seen lots of aquariums but what the heck! What a surprise though! We had an expert guide who took
Nature's WindowNature's WindowNature's Window

An interesting view through this rock formation in the Kalbarri National Park.
us to 8-10 tanks of various sizes of marine animals. Almost all species were from Shark Bay . It was a feeding program and we watched him feed sharks , snapper, sea snakes, groper, conga eels, small ornamentals, turtles and fish of all shapes and sizes. It was one of the best examples of a marine park we have seen.

Our last night in Denham was spent devouring a huge platter of local seafood at a little restaurant constructed from bricks hewn out of compressed shell grit. The platter was unbelievable! No batter to be seen! We had snapper, whiting, prawns, calamari, oysters and a few other delicacies. Make sure you call in if you get over here.

Next port of call is Carnarvon. Getting a little warmer but still windy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Island RockIsland Rock
Island Rock

Some of the rock is tougher. Hints of the apostles on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria.
Injured TurtleInjured Turtle
Injured Turtle

This little fellow is under rehab so he can be released.
Mushroom RockMushroom Rock
Mushroom Rock

An amazing rock formation in torrid waves.
Pretty CockyPretty Cocky
Pretty Cocky

An exhibit at Rainbow Jungle in Kalbarri.
Kalbarri National ParkKalbarri National Park
Kalbarri National Park

Rock formations can be fascinating.
EuroEuro
Euro

A Euro Wallaby in the National Park.
High on a hillHigh on a hill
High on a hill

'Someone' on a climb at Kalbarri Gorge.
LovebirdsLovebirds
Lovebirds

A few 'cuties' at the parrot display.
Tranquil Multi HullTranquil Multi Hull
Tranquil Multi Hull

A 'cat' moored on the Murchison River.
Big BoyBig Boy
Big Boy

A Tiger Shark at the Ocean Park.
Wild DolphinsWild Dolphins
Wild Dolphins

Feeding is minimal to ensure they catch the large proportion of their food in the wild. This guy is doing a back arch.
A 'Blue' Fish?A 'Blue' Fish?
A 'Blue' Fish?

Yes, and from Shark Bay as well.


28th June 2010

looks great!
I am really enjoying the Blogs Peter,keep up the good work. Love all the photos of the beautiful rock formations,nature is an amazing thing hey? Enjoy the warmth over there...its so cold here,but all is dandy! Talk soon,xoxo
29th June 2010

End of JUNE!!
Ah!! those words sound so different this year. My first official end of June with NO stocktake!! Never thought it would happen Skin.... How we both have moved on, thanks for all those fun times.Hey? I will have a toast to us tomorrow,and hope you can both do the same. Soak it all up..xoxo

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb