Coral Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
April 28th 2016
Published: May 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post


Kate woke us early as she was excited about her 8th birthday. Opening her wrapped gifts that contained a stuffed toy emu, creative diary, pencil case, drink bottle, necklace and bracelet she was very happy. We then informed her we were going snorkelling with the Manta Ray, and the excitement built.
Bacon and egg breakfast and ready for the bus at 9am.
The World Heritage Ningaloo Reef is 300km long with a diverse marine environment. 220 species of coral and 500 species of fish recorded.
As the reef is just of shore you can work straight off the beach and snorkel.
On this day however we choose a Reef boat to see the manta ray
Coral Bay is the Manta ray hot spot with more than 800 of these completely harmless creatures living in the area.
Manta ray are the largest ray species on earth, growing up to 7 metres from wing tip to wing tip. Manta Ray are found all year long.

Our first stop on the boat was known as the Cannon. Here we snorkelled around the beautiful fish and coral.
The water a little turbulent because of the poor weather and wind.
Back on the boat we had morning tea and then waited for a plane to spot the Manta Ray.
Meanwhile we were entertained by some Dolphins.
The plane finally seeing the ray and giving directions to the skipper and we chased them down. Following the directions of the guide we all jumped in and snorkelled after the large black Manta Ray who was swimming very fast.
Then back on deck for a few minutes and we were jumping in to swim with another, who was a little slower and more relaxed. Both Manta Ray very big in size. Kate finding it difficult in the rough ocean to cope and sat out the second viewing.
A light lunch and then we moved on the snorkel an area called the gap, Just on the fringe of the reef a large deep area. Kate giving it another go holding my hand and in we went.
A very tough swim to the area of interest. However we were rewarded with a view of a turtle and a school of very big black tip reef shark. Struggling on the way back the guide assisted me with Kate. Back on the boat we ate Boston bun and sang happy birthday to Kate.
However rough in the water it was a great day.

Back on land we travelled home by bus. Had showers rested up and then went out for Pizza to celebrate Kates special day. When we returned to the caravan we sang happy birthday whilst Kate blew out the candles and sparkler on her cup cake birthday cake shaped in the figure 8.
Kate had a great day.










Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb