Hameline Pool to Coral Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
April 27th 2016
Published: May 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hamelin Pool to Coral Bay
A quick visit to the Stromatolites, which were under water as the tide was in.
An uneventful drive through the low lying dry scrub desert to Carnarvon.
On approach to Carnarvon the country side becomes greener and the banana plantations are in abundance. Carnarvon produces over 30,000 tonnes of fruit and vegetables every year from it's 176 plantations. Many varieties of stone fruit are grown and produced in Carnarvon, which supplies 70% of W.A.'s winter fruit and vegetables. First task was to
find the place where Beth and Alan Dyall (Granny and Grandpa) once lived. Peter unsure of the exact house but knew they were temporarily in Cragg Crt, up near the OTC dish (earth tracking station)
The satellite communications dish and tracking station were involved in the Apollo, Gemini and Skylab space projects.
We travelled then into the main part of town, where we visited the information centre and the Woolworth supermarket.
Groceries on board we visited the One Mile Jetty, part of the heritage precinct.
Built in 1897 The Jetty was shrouded by historic farm machinery relics at the entrance and the coffee pot train in action along its narrow gauge tracks, delivering fisher persons back to shore. Carnarvon's Jetty is one of the longest in W.A.
We purchased coffee and ice creams, viewed the display of the HMAS Sydney 11 and HSK Koraman who battled it out in the Indian Ocean in WW11. The HMAS Sydney losing all it's 645 crew whilst 319 Germans survived, 46 Germans rowing to shore just north of Carnarvon, in the metal life boat that was on display.
We left Carnarvon and travelled to Coral Bay passing over the Gascoyne River which is 764km long and only a dry river bed to be seen.
We turned of the Minilya Exmouth Rd to Coral Bay.
Pulling into Coal Bay Bayside Caravan Park there was an air of excitement amongst us all.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb