The Pilbara


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
August 23rd 2013
Published: August 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our next destination took us back to the coast at Point Samson near Karratha. An immaculate caravan park with grass and no red dust. We thought we were in 7th heaven. Spent time here riding our bikes, visiting Karratha and going on a ‘Port to Port’ tour which was sponsored by Rio Tinto. Amazing, driving into the mine and around all the workings and to see all the new development under way and the current loading of ships. No sign of a slow down here as they are building infrastructure to increase the amount of ore that can be shipped out. Although, we were a little surprised as with all the Toyota 4 WD’s around and extensive accommodation you would expect to see loads of workers but no... unbelievably most of the mechanical work is controlled via the domestic airport in Perth. The tour also took in Roebourne and historic Cossack which was great.

On the road after this, and we ended up having a station stay at a place called Bullara – a working cattle and African sheep station. We enjoyed our night around the campfire, using the outdoor shower and enjoying some of their produce. Onto Exmouth where we spent every evening whale watching seeing about a dozen every night from the Lighthouse lookout. We couldn’t believe how many there were. We also visited Cape Range National Park and swam and snorkelled at the glorious Torqouise Bay (Ningaloo). Stunning! From here we headed on to delightful Coral Bay where we spent a week swimming and snorkelling and going on a glass bottom boat. The bay is about 100 metres away from the caravan park with crystal clear turquoise water and the reef to snorkel around so close to the shore that even we could reach it – especially at low tide. Everyday saw us in the water enjoying this piece of paradise. As we looked out over the Indian Ocean we were reminded that the next stops were – Mauritius, Madagascar and Africa! We were sorry to leave such a beautiful bay not only because of the beauty but we know we will now be heading south of the Tropic of Capricorn and so to cooler weather. We don’t want to acclimatise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



3rd September 2013

How lucky are you!
Photos and descriptions are amazing! Sounds like you are going to find it difficult to travel further south to the cooler climate. Keep having fun!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb