Australia - bushfires and dolphins


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
January 10th 2016
Published: January 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

New Years DayNew Years DayNew Years Day

On boat trip
After a few glitches over Christmas and New Year we made it to quiet Busselton - it's like a place where time is standing still. Everything closes at 1pm on a Saturday so no relaxing shopping sessions. However it has such charm and where we are is so close to the beach that any time of day is like paradise - not tropical paradise just a quietness with so few people around that often I walk the beach and there is perhaps one man and his dog sharing the space with me. Yesterday I walked alongside a sting ray feeding in the shallows. It's really a place to relax and slow down. I am so slowed down that little is done each day except swim, eat and read. Magic.

On New Year's Day we all went on a boat trip (quite choppy) and were so lucky when we saw we had a pod of very playful dolphins in the wake of the boat. Very exciting! The rest of the passengers were a group of seniors so felt like a spring chicken!!

Sian has been surfing at a fab beach called Yallingup with a lagoon and sometimes very big waves.
A gift for 2016A gift for 2016A gift for 2016

What could be better that starting 2016 with dolphins?


The most dramatic thing to happen is the terrible bushfire south of Perth. All roads north from us were closed so people trying to get back to Perth had to take a 3 hour diversion. Petrol stations had enormous queues and ran out of petrol. The wind was blowing in our direction - the air quality was very poor and the sky dark for 2 days until the wind changed and cleared it. We could see the smoke descending from inland even though we are several miles away. Appeals have gone out for donations and the roads north are still closed. Scary!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Effects of bushfireEffects of bushfire
Effects of bushfire

View from the house where we usually see only blue skies
The beachThe beach
The beach

View of our beach on Friday morning
Bunkers Bay Bunkers Bay
Bunkers Bay

Sunday - another glorious beach


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb