Broome, Horizontal Falls & Pilbara


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 7th 2013
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Broome – contd.

After 2 days we moved onto Cable Beach CP which is in walking distance of the beach. We’ve spent days swimming at the beach where the water temperature is 25C and also at the pool. We’ve explored the local area of Cable Beach on our bikes and been up very early for sunrise and long walks along the beach. The camels are in action in the morning and at least 3 groups of them every evening. Many 4wd head off along the beach for sunset but have to be wary of the tides. Many of our evening drinks have happened beach front and at the sunset bar. We’ve also spent time in Broome exploring the town and the Port and other sights such as Gantheaume Point. We’ve learnt a bit of the history through Chinatown on one of the historic walks. A beautiful spot that is still relatively unspoilt but with enough to be a real slice of paradise. Glad we are staying longer!



Broome and Horizontal Falls

Really enjoyed our time in Broome and became accustomed to the great weather and beautiful beach. So much so we extended a couple of times at Cable Beach CP. Went swimming daily and most evenings had drinks on the grassed foreshore overlooking the Indian ocean as the sun set. Glorious! We were also fortunate to be there when the phenomena of “Staircase to the Moon” occurred which was strikingly beautiful and different on each of the 3 evenings it occurred. We were lucky enough to view it on 2 occasions with a didgeridoo playing as the moon rose which added to the atmosphere. Our stay here culminated with a trip to Cape Leveque and the Horizontal Falls. Picked up at 5.30am we went by 4WD bus along 200kms of dirt road stopping at Beagle Bay, Cape Kooljamon and One Arm Point. Here we caught a float plane and flew over the Buccaneer Archipelago (sensational) to Talbot Bay. We landed on the water and transferred to a boat for a trip into and through the horizontal falls. We also did a boat trip to Cyclone Creek and surrounds. We joined a houseboat for a barramundi lunch and later on flew back to Broome over inland Kimberley. It was a sensational day and we both loved it.

Karijini National Park and the Pilbara

Departed Broome sadly heading south into the Pilbara region! We free camped, called into Port Headland for a very short visit and continued on to a Roadhouse. Amazed at the mining industry with the road house accommodating miners and tourists alike. Karijini has proved to be a delightful spot. Great camping facilities in the NP in natural bushland. Have spent our two days here walking to falls, swimming pools, the gorge rim and the gorge itself. Stunningly beautiful with a spectacular escarpment. Our walk along the gorge being one of the highlights. Spent a couple of hours each afternoon relaxing outside the caravan in an environment that has grown on us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb