Broome broome!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
July 28th 2010
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

And so we pitched up in Broome where we spent a couple of nights, firstly on a campsite in the North West of the town right beside Cable Beach, then another over the East side by Chinatown and Town Beach. Having heard great things about the town itself and Cable Beach in particular we were really looking forward to spending a bit of time in Broome, however again, as with Coral Bay, we managed to time our arrival to coincide with school holidays meaning the beach and all the campsites were packed to the rafters which never allows you to see a place at it’s best.

I’m sure having spent the past few days on pristine, unspoilt, beautiful, quiet beaches didn’t help. Nor was the fact that we didn’t get to see the 120 million year old dinosaur footprints in the area. Even though we got up at the crack of dawn, having checked on what day and what time the lowest tide of our visit was, it wasn’t low enough. I was disappointed, Xan being a big fan of fossils, was crestfallen!

What Broome will always be remembered for however is the residents at our second campsite. A
On the busesOn the busesOn the buses

A very cool semi-perm residence
lot if the sites we stay at in cities have a number of permanent residents living at them - they can generally be spotted a mile off with elaborate extensions to their caravans, prize winning worthy plants in pots on their plot, but above all a fence of some description around their site and a plaque displaying the name of their abode. Probably due to it being the school holidays and us not having booked in advance, we were given a site right in the middle of the permanent resident section of the park, a highly unusual practice. Here we met some fantastic people - among them an old guy who sat in a large leather directors chair outside his camper all day drinking beers, chatting to his neighbours who regularly dropped by, smoking fags - all the while wheeling around an intravenous drip with him and breathing through tubes in his nose!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Welcoming sign - makes you feel warm insideWelcoming sign - makes you feel warm inside
Welcoming sign - makes you feel warm inside

There was an alternative gate 20 yards up!


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb