Augusta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Augusta
January 11th 2012
Published: January 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bushfires Bushfires Bushfires

On the road between Pemberton and Augusta we drove for 20+ Klm through fire ravaged forest. This is taken about 4 weeks after fire went through.
Augusta

11th January 2012

Leaving Pemberton we headed directly for Augusta with plans to free camp some 30+ Klms north of Augusta on the Blackwood River at Alexandra Bridge. With nothing between Pemberton and Augusta we made a bee line through the forest to our next destination.

Augusta is on the south western tip of Australia, situated on the banks of the Hardy Inlet, overlooking the mouth of the Blackwood River and the waters of Flinders Bay. Just beyond it lies Cape Leeuwin which divides the two oceans; the Southern Ocean to the south and the Indian Ocean to the west. Settled in 1830, Augusta is the State’s third oldest settlement. Augusta is a popular tourist and fishing destination and appeared to also have a population (pop 1200) that could best be described as spending their spare time in the Bowling Club.

Cape Leeuwin, 8 Klm SW of Augusta, within the Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park, marks the most south-western point of Australia and the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse with its 176 steps to the top is the highest mainland lighthouse in Australia.

After coffee at The Deck, it was down to Flinders Bay for a swim in a
Blackwood River Blackwood River Blackwood River

overnight camp site at Alexandra Bridge
picturesque setting and we both decided that we needed to get back here before we leave the south west corner. But after a relatively long day for us it was back up the track to Alexander Bridge on The Blackwood River to camp for the night.

Set beside the Blackwood River 26 km north-east of Augusta on Clarke Dr, this secluded campsite makes the most of the diverse forest landscape on the east side of Alexandra Bridge. It was quite a busy campsite with other travellers already taking up the ‘waterfront real estate’ so we selected an area with good water views but in the ‘heights’. What a great campsite, very dog friendly, $7/night, a fantastic swimming river, what turned out to be a fantastic fishing river and with a flushing loo to boot ! “why are we going to Bunbury?’ says Trish, ‘this is fantastic, it is cheap, we will actually save some money let’s stay a week here, we love it and Jackie does to!!!’ I agreed, but as you will see when we get to Bunbury, (next couple of Blogs), I had to say that we had a planned itinerary and had to keep moving (liar that I am, it sounded good though). Privately, I made a mental note that yes, we will be back as soon as we leave Bunbury, it was a great camp site, Trish was right but we could not stay this time……and we would have ‘waterfront real estate’ next time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

AugustaAugusta
Augusta

on the shores of Hardy Inlet
Augusta Augusta
Augusta

Cold drinks time..it was hot!
Flinders Bay Flinders Bay
Flinders Bay

great spot
Cape LeeuwinCape Leeuwin
Cape Leeuwin

TRish & Jackie at the Matthew Flinders Memorial


29th January 2012

Augusta
Ok got you in Augusta. Been looking at Google Earth and having look at the Caltex Garage in the middle of Augusta. What does the 140.9 mean? I suppose it is an Aussie way of giving the price, but what is the price/per gallon or liter? Yes 40C is a decent temperature I suppose, we are expecting a daytime high of +2C today(Sunday). Glad Trish had a good birthday party and has now joined the sixty somethings club!!!!! Keep the blog going, we do check almost daily for the latest news. Brian
29th January 2012

Gidday 'Jimmy'
The price is per Litre ! +2C is an 'interesting' temp, you can have that on your own. Yes, 60 allows her to get a 'seniors card' here in Oz, not happy! More on 'The Birthday' to come, so stand by!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb