Augusta - Jewl Cave


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Augusta
October 18th 2011
Published: October 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Visitor centre at Jewel CaveVisitor centre at Jewel CaveVisitor centre at Jewel Cave

This is about 10ks north of Agusta on Cave Road.
The south west corner of Australia is dominated bu the Leeuwin Naturaliste national park covering much of the area. Tucked in between are the Margaret River grape growing area intermixed with grazing country.
In this area there are 100 or more natural limestone caves. The Jewel cave is a reasonably recent find where the entrance hole was barely gig enough for a man to drop down on a rope. The cave depth is about 50 meters to the floor.

As there was no easy access, there is a total absence of bats or other life in the cave. There have been a few unfortunate creatures who had fallen down the crown vent and met a very dark death as there is no other way out of this dry cave.

There is a great variety of formations, many not seen elsewhere because of the no air movement in the cave. In times long way past water had flowed through this cave, but nothing in the time that it has been known to man.

The visitors centre has just been built and lighting in the cave upgraded to add to uyour enjoyment and safety. Mostly LED lights now so that if there is a powerout, there is still quality light. In the past, guides had the tricky job of getting folk out if there was a power out. (Not uncommon in summer)

Visitors today have easy access to the cave with well lit stairs and board walks. About 250 steps down and up again.

This cave is well worth the time for a guided visit and you will come away well informed. Meals in the visitor centre were generous servings too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lighting in the caveLighting in the cave
Lighting in the cave

Many structures are lit to enhance your visit. There is zero natural light and the guide will demonstrate this to you.
The CamelThe Camel
The Camel

But most say it looks more like a nesting turkey
The road inThe road in
The road in

Cave road is virtually tree lioned for its full length of about 100Ks.
A tree rootA tree root
A tree root

There are just a few tree roots that have grown down into the cave in search of water. No luck in this cave but.
As per previous As per previous
As per previous

Coral like structure


Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 174; dbt: 0.2438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb