Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
November 15th 2012
Published: November 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was just a short hop to Albany. As promised, the tall trees were suddenly gone, replaced by smaller eucalypts and sometimes heath land. In Albany we found ourselves in a caravan park that would be every caravaner’s dream. Every site was spacious and drive-through. For those without on board ensuites at least half of the park had individual site ensuites.

A quick shop re-stocked the larder. This was followed by a lunch of delicious pies we picked up from the bakery as we exited Denmark, This allowed us plenty of time to look around this historic town.

At the Princess Royal Fortress Museum we viewed photos and artefacts from various wars. We were surprised to find out that the first ANZACs actually departed from Albany Harbour. The duty officers, as elderly ex-military soldiers were very passionate about their work and sharing their stories.

Next we went to a decommissioned Whaling Station. The stories here were just as amazing. The boat and the processing plant have been converted to a museum. Movies were shown inside the converted oil-tanks, you could wander over the boat and through the yard where they had processed the whales. It was all rather confronting even though it is no longer done here. Photos showing men in the 1970’s wearing only rubber boots, shorts and t-shirts wielding dangerously large flensing knives showed the lack of safe work practices. They certainly wouldn’t get away with it today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th November 2012

The last whale
When Mum and Dad and Ali and I were in Albany we saw the last whale to be carved up there. Somewhere in Mum's photos there must be a billion photos of the suspended Whale. I was hideous.

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1923s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb