Day 11 of the "Follow me quickly...but not quickly in case you hurt yourself" Tour 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 11

Albany - Frenchmans Bay - Blow Holes - Gap/Natural Bridge - Albany

Frenchmans BayFrenchmans BayFrenchmans Bay

White Sand & Blue Water
Day 11 of our tour and we woke up in Albany once again. We decided to do a bit of sightseeing today and the first place we visited was “The Old Whaling Station”. The Whalers in Kilbrittain would have been proud once again. The Whaling Station was situated about 20 kilometres out of town in an area known as Frenchman’s Bay. It was a pity the weather was desperate as I reckon the place would have been stunning on a beautiful day! White sand and blue water everywhere, nice one.

We paid the high fee of $29 dollars each and entered the Whaling Station. We knew it would be worth it already when we saw the old whaling chaser (boat) docked on dry land inside the museum. We had a wait of about 45 mins before the next guided tour so we went and explored this ship! It was unreal to see how these men spent their time and the conditions they had live in on-board the ship and got some great photos. It’s not every day your get to look around a whaling boat that was last used in the 70’s.

Finished on the ship and still having
Cheynes IVCheynes IVCheynes IV

Whaling Chaser boat
10 mins to go before the tour, Colman decided that he would have a go off the kid’s slide that was made in the shape of a whale. I recorded it, have a look! The slide was soaking and Cole destroyed himself! What a laugh!

The tour started after that and the lady went to tell us all the history of the place. It closed down 1978 due to protests and the demise in the demand for whale oil and other whale raw materials and it was still completely intact. We saw the area’s where they cut the blubber off the whale, cut the head off the whale, cooked the blubber, ground up what was left of the whale and the tanks that stored the oils and other matter they created. It was very well done with pictures of what it looked like while the whaling was still going on, on display all through. It was very well organised in fairness. After the tour there were 3 short films to watch about the whaling industry, whales and sharks(with they had constant battles with at the time as they loved whale and the waters around the whaling station were red with blood due to the nature of whaling).

The Whaling Station had a miniature wildlife park attached to it and even though it was a brutal day we walked through it anyways. There we saw Kangaroos, wallabies, parrots, possums and all sorts. The highlight had to be the koala bears though! They were sitting in trees right next to us and we even got to rub them! The highlight of the day quickly turned sour though as one of the koala bears, let’s just say “did his business”, while we were right next to him! I was empty retching and Cole was less than impressed as well so it was time for us to exit stage left!

On the way back to town were two of the local attractions straight from Fr. Ted, The Gap and the Blow Holes. We actually missed the turn for the Blow Holes so we went to “The Gap” first! The Gap is a natural gap in the stone by the see and there also was “A Natural Bridge” which was a bridge naturally made from the rock! Exciting stuff! We took the obligatory photos and headed for the Blow Holes hoping for
Coley & The KoalaColey & The KoalaColey & The Koala

Having a great laugh
a better attraction.

The Blow Holes took us 20 mins walking to get to and to be fair were impressive enough. They are holes in overhanging rock that air and spray blow up though when a wave crashes below. A lethal dangerous spot and there is even signs there saying that lives have been lost there! We didn’t stay long and darkness was starting to fall and we still had to trek back up to the car and that was it for Day 11.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Whale CostumeWhale Costume
Whale Costume

Children ha!


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb