Gill Goes.... Trekking the Bibbulmun Track... Sandpatch to Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
July 1st 2016
Published: April 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our Travel Buddies Our Travel Buddies Our Travel Buddies

Phil and Pete, Meg and I
Day 58

July 1 2016

12.5km

The sun is out. Last day. Pack up my soggy tent. Polish off the very last ziploc bag of oats and we thank our hut buddies of the last few days. After my initial disappointment they were such great company- like a comedy duo, really glad I "womaned" up and got over that very insignificant disappointment. Lesson learnt- be prepared to move your goalposts, adjust your expectations, etc. Good lesson.

Quickly we are in the Torndirrup National Park. Very typical trails, shrubs, bushes, bird calls and views that have been a constant for this southern section. The walking is easy, if not a little warm! I guess most people at this stage of a hike get a little endorphin rush and the last few km's feels a bit like a walk in the park (plus the pack weight is at an all time low with no food and not much water). The scenery morphs with glimpses of the harbour and town. There is a whisky distillery that we pass called Limeburners, a tad early for a taster. The trail quickly gets a bit suburban with roads, paved paths, PEOPLE!, dog walkers, cars, buses, motorbikes, noise.... To cut a long story (and this has been a bit of an epically long story- a very long blog devoted to one thru-hike!), we stop for coffee in a carpark with the last spoon of coffee and last spoon of powdered milk- no food- none left, not even a wafer! Flat walking through the old derelict Albany Woollen Mills, streets, houses, Amity Brig boat, across the grass and bang! Southern Terminus.

Wow!

I feel overwhelmed. Sign the book. Lost for words.

(Overwhelmedness quickly replaced by intense need to eat cake and coffee).

In conclusion- fantastic experience, really, really fantastic. So glad for the opportunity to push myself. Met some great people, walked the very best our state has to offer. Thanks must go to everyone who helped me at any time and in any way, to the Bibb Track Foundation and lastly, to the vollies for the countless hours they put in (I have decided that I am going to sign up as a vollie on return to civilisation).

My favourite section could possibly be through the Pingerup Plains, although I really love the forests of the northern half. My favourite huts would be Schafer and Maringup I think- the water and the sunrise/sets at those two were sublime. Hard to choose really as so many are in such beautiful settings. The coastline of the south is amazing without a doubt, but I'm more of a forest girl. Certainly it's a track for all tastes and levels of fitness.

There you have it, the end. I feel accomplished. I feel strong. I still feel overwhelmed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement







Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb