Murrayville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
May 18th 2015
Published: May 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Joan enjoying a cold drink under the verandah of the country pub in Murrayville.Joan enjoying a cold drink under the verandah of the country pub in Murrayville.Joan enjoying a cold drink under the verandah of the country pub in Murrayville.

Watching the grain trucks roll past on a warm afternoon, what could be better. Joan is a country girl at heart.
The sun shone brightly through the trees at Kaloola when we first arose this morning. However a big bank of cloud moving in from the west soon dulled the sun and it was clear we should get on our way sooner rather than later. Having hooked up the van and set everything up the night before made for an easy get away.



Our first stop is always a service station to check the tyre pressures. This done we headed through Angaston and out the road towards Keynton, passing the turnoff we take to Rock Water Springs, one of our other favourite haunts. The countryside is a patchwork of green and freshly planted crops. It’s lovely to see at this time of the year. The route we took was easy driving bringing us into the back end of Murray Bridge.



It is always interesting listening to the chatter going on between the truckies in the area between Murray Bridge and Tailem Bend. Lots of comments about the Barbie. Is it hot or cold? In other words … Is the checking station open or closed.



Continuing on the road to Pinnaroo we took a coffee break in Peake and a lunch break in Pinnaroo before the last streach to our days destination of Murrayville.



Greg had found limited information about the Caravan Park here, and these were mainly references that did not include any contact details. Never-the-less we thought we would make this our aim and if it didn’t work we would continue to the next town.



It’s always a good sign when you see the blue Caravan Park sign as you arrive in town. Yes it was there. Arriving at the park there appeared to be no reception and yet there were a number of vans insitue. One friendly guy told us you just select a spot, set up and someone comes to collect fees at some stage. So that’s what we did. There are limited powered sites. Fortunately we were plenty early enough to get one of these. Within the next half hour at least 4 more vans arrived and by this evening the place is virtually full. We did find an honour box for fee payment.



The water is not suitable for drinking but rain water is available. Initially we had a bit of trouble connecting to water, but with that solved the next was the lock barrel from the door which came out when Joan tried to unlock the door. Again successfully solved … we hope.



We were amazed to see another Adventurer Caravan, the first we have seen on the road since we have had our van … and in Murrayville of all places!

A quick walk around town culminated in a drink at the pub before heading back to the van. It is very quiet so we shouldn’t have trouble sleeping tonight. With everything still hooked up we should be able to get away smartly in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



18th May 2015

quite town
One could come to the conclusion that Murrayville is such a dull place that the only thing to do is knit or it's so dull because all they do is knit. But seeing as you're there, have you checked out all the old stomping ground sites? You know, local Lutheran church, the institute? Or was it a town hall across the border?
19th May 2015

Mission festival
The doors to the town hall were looking a little old but no doubt the mission festival is just as good as when we were forced to attend. The pub across the road is pretty good.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb