Melbourne and Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
November 20th 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

So the last but one trip planned on my list was the Great Ocean Road. And to do it, a French friend of mine joined during 3 weeks. And that was quite good to have kind of a first contact with France before coming back home.

To do the road, we actually found an ad on internet of two other German who wanted to rent a van and do the road. It seemed good at the beginning, but finally this option was not so worth it. The two german were two girls, a bit younger, and so not really in the same mood as us, really slow, decided nothing, sharing nothing not really experienced in traveling. But the trip went well though. They took care of booking the van, but instead they took the cheapest which was a car with a tent of the roof, tight for 3 so not suited for 4. And the car was small so with all the luggages, that was not really comfy (at least, because I was the driver, it was nice for me😊 ). Anyway, so we ended up mainly sleeping in my non-waterproof tent, next to the car, without any matress, while the girls were sleeping in the bit comfier tent on the car. So that was the practical story.

Concerning, the road, we saw really beautiful coastline. Nice water, long beaches without anybody, some wild ocean and big waves. Then the rocks were a bit more yellow and red, saw the famous 12 apostles. We saw lots of koalas, walabies, kangaroos. Some really warm days and some colder, rainier days. After the Great Ocean Road we reached Adelaide driving through the Grampians National park.

And we finish the trip, without the german girls (we finally could have a proper night with a matress!) visiting the Barossa valley, famous for its wine. As good French people we visited to wineries and did some wine tastings.

And finally we relaxed a bit in Adelaide, doing a bike tour one day, and a beach day for the other, with some 30 or more degrees in December, that was unusual for the brain, but not unpleasant.


There is now only one trip planned left before flying home which is going to be hot. Driving to Uluru!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb