Great Alpine Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
May 3rd 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Fairy DellFairy DellFairy Dell

This was looking up the hill about 3/4 from the top!
Monday 26th April 2010

Woke up to a beautiful day, blue sky and no wind. It was chilly when we woke up at 7am but after lying in until 7.30 with the aircon heating the van it was quite ok. Certainly not 'roughing it' this trip!

Omeo, on the Great Alpine Road is our destination for today, from here we think we could do a few side trips without the van before continuing on.

The organisation VisitVictoria.com puts out very nice pamphlets, however we found them pretty useless as they seem to concentrate on food stops rather than describe places of interest, and more importantly, don't give details such as distances and roads off the regular beaten track.

This lack of detail caused us a little bit of excitement as it details a “must do”. This was Fairy Dell, a picnic spot south of Bruthen, from where a 30min walk apparently takes you to the Lilly Pilly rainforest and a lookout of Tambo River which we have crossed several times already.
We turned at a sign off the main road and followed a well formed gravel track. This became increasingly steep and twisting but as it was
Fairy Dell RoadFairy Dell RoadFairy Dell Road

Gradually we had it facing the way we came.
in such good condition Rags thought it must lead to our destination. Judy became a little worried as did Rags after about 5kms with no way of turning around. On climbing a long, steep hill we came to a very steep decline. If we had to return that way it was doubtful we could get enough traction to climb it with nearly 3 tonnes behind us. Luckily there was a small clearing near the summit and with much turning back and forth we managed to get the unit facing the other way. Luckily at no stage on our journey did we meet anything going in the opposite direction or there may have been more fun. Exciting morning which we're sure will become a little embellished when we relate it again in the future! Did we mention that we didn't get to the Fairy dell or the 30 minute walk?

By lunchtime we had reached Omeo and here we set up camp in the nearly deserted park. Lovely quiet spot, green lawns and the poplar and other deciduous trees dropping their coloured leaves all around us.

It took us about an hour to drive to Anglers Rest, a place
OmeoOmeoOmeo

On a carpet of leaves.
recommended for the scenery on the way. Rags didn't see too much of it, the 25-30kms was made up of corners and switchbacks through the hilly terrain. Pleasant enough, though Judy wasn't too impressed on the way back, by the narrow road shoulder before the steep drop away from the road.


Tuesday 27th April 2010

Cold night and still cool when we left Omeo. As we climbed into the Alpine National park it got progressively colder.

The first place we stopped at was Dinner Plain, no idea why it was named that. The village there is a ski holiday place with most of the lodges empty at this time of the year. There was a lot of painting and other maintenance going on, as well as the building of new places. Most of the older buildings were made of wood, new ones are using corrugated steel.

After a stroll around town the cold got to us and we had a Byron Bay cappucino in the warm General Store.

The weather further deteriorated and by the time we reached the Mt Hotham Alpine Resort the cloud was so thick we could hardly see where were
OmeoOmeoOmeo

The 'new' courthouse. Designed and built by a govt official who came up here regularly to fish with the magistrate who ran regular court hearings.
going. For the next 20-30kms we wound our way downhill, being very cautious around the numerous tight bends. Most of our travel was on the uphill side of the road, not until the last section was the steep drop so close.

Bright was our objective for the day and here we arrived just as several buses disgorged a sea of grey haired people who all headed to the bakery for a pie lunch. Since this is what we had discussed on route Rags waited patiently while Judy found a table by the window. Desert was the highlight; blackberry pie. Amongst that crowd we were the youngsters but at least they were still doing things.

After lunch we walked around the picturesque little town of Bright which reminded us of some of the European towns we have visited. Bright is just about to start it's autumn festival where its many deciduous tree lined streets display their vibrant colours. These are just starting to turn and we did see many that were a stunning colour.

We decided to continue on to the caravan park in Porepunkah, about 12kms past Bright as it's at the foot of Mount Buffalo and
OmeoOmeoOmeo

Waterwheel in the historical area.
if the weather improves tomorrow we may be tempted to wander along one of it's many walks. The weather is a bit depressing today and we both feel a bit flat so hopefully tomorrow will be better and we'll be able to get out and really stretch our legs. Tonight, we'll go over the maps and plot out a route (which like all our plans could change at the drop of a hat) because if we don't, we'll be back in Perth within a week.

Wednesday 28th April 2010

Today we have decided to spend in the Mount Buffalo National Park. After packing a cut lunch and a thermos for tea/coffee we set off. Unfortunately, Rags hadn't read the map properly and we drove about 10 kms down the highway before realising it was the opposite direction.

On the return we decided to continue into Bright but just before reaching the township we came across The Old Tobacco Sheds. Tobacco was grown in this region in the past, these sheds have now been converted into a museum/antique store/cafe. We wandered through the 28 rooms of assorted paraphernalia which included clothing, antique furniture, crockery, books and magazines, music
Dinner PlainDinner PlainDinner Plain

One of many ski lodges used during the snow season.
records, car pieces, just about anything you can think of. Interesting, but we didn't buy anything or see anything sold whilst we were there.

The 30 or so kms up Mt Buffalo was quite a drive, twisting road with switchbacks and steep drops at the side. We headed for the top, The Horn. The final section to this was a dirt track and then another 1.5km trudge up the rocks to the summit. We were disappointed that cloud had set in at the summit, blocking the view, as it had been very clear when we left camp. Even so, there were gaps in the clouds giving us a glimpse of what could be seen.

This park is part of the Australian Alps National Parks, where the alpine system from Victoria to NSW to ACT are all managed together to keep them preserved.

As it was freezing cold up there (5 degrees today but with a strong wind making it much colder) we made our way down to a lower level and stopped at Lake Catani for our lunch. From here we continued lower to Mt Buffalo Chalets, built as a ski lodge in the early 1900s, and
Mt HothamMt HothamMt Hotham

The cloud got thicker than this as we climbed higher. Used our foglights the way they are meant to be used.
the area known as The Gorge. From lookouts in various places you can see the sheer cliffs of the gorge plus the waterfall and stream running down to the farming areas in the distance. The granite cliffs drop straight down for over 300m and it is from here that a take-off ramp for hang gliders has been made. Abseiling and rock climbing also take place but these activities take place more in summer.

After the long, winding road down we visited the Berry Farm, but this wasn't overly friendly or inviting, just a place to sell their products. We did buy a punnet of raspberries to have this evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Mt HothamMt Hotham
Mt Hotham

Snow machines lined up alongside the road near the top.
BrightBright
Bright

Judy was inside the shop looking around. Sign says it all.
BrightBright
Bright

The deciduous trees were just on the turn and put on a colourful display.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

The Nob. We passed this on the way to the summit.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

Occasionally we could see down below through gaps in the cloud.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

The lookout at the top carpark. We had to walk a further 1.5 kms to the top. The view was limited as the cloud had moved in.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

A limited view.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

Mt Buffalo Chalet. A truly majestic old building still in use today.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

The view into the valley near the Chalet.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

Some even have the courage to launch off here with their paragliders.
Mt BuffaloMt Buffalo
Mt Buffalo

This is the view they get when they jump off.


4th May 2010

Great Views
Glad to hear from you again. Seemed awhile since you had been on Facebook so thought you must have been doing lots of sight seeing. All looks very picturesque. Pity about the Fog, but you did get to see a bit of the view. Liz leaves on the 14th, Rags,Friday week. Love Mum
9th May 2010

My stomach curdles at the thought of paragliding from up there.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb