Victoria and Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
April 26th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Back from touring Victoria

We went to Echuca about 250 kms north of Melbourne. Strange as it seems this river port was the second busiest in Australia before the railways came to the interior of Victoria in the late 1800s. As is usual with these historic towns they thrived with great wealth being invested in the town but then suffered a sharp decline meaning that the old buildings remain as they looked in the old days. Thus the town has an olden feel souped up by the tourism industry. The government has also invested in facilities for tourists. And we found that situation in Echuca, Maldon, Bendigo and Ballarat. The first was built upon the wool trade. The others were all created by gold, lots of gold.

We followed our gold tour with a visit to a vineyard on land where friends of Grant and Linda have grown some vines. We were volunteering to help bring in their harvest of Shiraz grapes which, we found, produced a very acceptable wine. We enjoyed it during the evening. Great fun and a sense of achievement.

Back to the Helios Sun Club for a Sunday tea and then we returned the camper to its depot in Melbourne. A stage of our trip over. Next was Melbourne to be followed by our flight to Perth.

And while in Melbourne we have done the Art Gallery, the Museum, Luna Park and tried to see Frazer Hooper in Federation Square. (Advertised but failed to be there.) All with our nieces, Kristen and Emily.

Advertisement



27th April 2010

Great to hear from you!
Hi there --- you're obviously having a fascinating experience, but not too fascinating, I hope, to have remembered to register for a postal vote! Over here the election's in full swing and every vote is going to count. If you haven't got a pv, then you simply must hop on the next plane back to the UK!! fingers crossed for the 'right' result on 6 May Love to you both, Sue xx

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb