Love Sick


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
March 20th 2009
Published: March 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

South AustraliaSouth AustraliaSouth Australia

Caroline steps into SA.
DAY 133

We woke up today, after a cold night, to a very bright sunny day, we didn’t get out of bed particularly early, about 8.00am when we wandered in to the camp kitchen for tea and toast, oh and to do some blog work.

We were just sitting talking about our plans for the day when two people came in and started talking to us, they had a large Jayco trailer and he was scoping out the site to see if he could manoeuvre it in, what concerned him was the air conditioning unit on the roof and the low branches, and sensibly he didn’t want to do any damage to it.

Alan and Gerry both originally come from England, Alan from Harrow and Gerry (Geraldine) from Swaythling in Southampton, and have been here many many years. Gerry in fact came over when she was 18 months old. We spoke to them for ages, then had to get moving for the day as the morning was slipping past us very quickly.

As we liked the site so much we went and paid for an extra night, there was still a lot to see around here and
Leg of Mutton LakeLeg of Mutton LakeLeg of Mutton Lake

from Hoo Hoo Lookout
not to mention enjoy the wildlife and fairly cheap camping.

Today we would set foot first time in South Australia, as we were heading up to Mount Gambier to look around, get some groceries and we also wanted to see the Blue Lake.

Liz, who we met yesterday, had said that Mount Gambier was a town caught in a time warp, there was nowhere that was modern and nowhere you can get a decent cup of coffee, so of course we had to go and find out for ourselves.

About 9K’s from where we are staying Victoria borders with South Australia, we wanted a picture of the sign saying welcome to South Australia as we both felt it would be a landmark in our journey.

We drove for about 35K’s through forestry, dirt tracks that were being cleared. We arrived at a T Junction and there was no sign saying which way to go, so obviously we took the wrong one. After turning around, we finally entered mount Gambier, it was different than what we had expected, and our first impressions was it seemed like a busy town and probably a growing town with some newer
Hoo Hoo LookoutHoo Hoo LookoutHoo Hoo Lookout

This looks over Leg of Mutton Lake, it used to be shaped like a leg of Mutton however the water is receding along with the shape.
houses built on the outskirts. We set about finding Tourist Information, so that we could find out where the “Blue Lake” was, everyone has told us about it, and it was a must see.

While we were looking around for tourist information we found the more modern aspects of the town such as McDonalds, KFC a large Coles supermarket, Modern car dealerships etc. However we can agree with Liz on the fact that the main shopping street is well and truly in a time warp, with no modern shops and that I would not want to buy any clothes there. We did find a couple of more modern coffee houses, however we did not go in and try the coffee.

When I caught up with Liz later in the afternoon, we spoke about our findings and mentioned that we had coffee in McDonalds; we knew we could get a decent coffee in there. Liz said, “I rest my case”. I think that we have both been spoilt by our modern shopping centres in Melbourne and of course Southampton. Some of these more remote towns in Australia are yet to catch up, but of course they will only catch
Water TowerWater TowerWater Tower

Overlooks the Blue Lake
up with a growing population, the need for High Street Fashion and those trendy modern coffee shops.

We found the lake after stopping at the Hoo Hoo Lookout, it was stunning, however the Blue Lake changes dramatically from grey to vivid blue over a few days in November each year. Then after summer, usually in late March, it gradually fades until the grey winter appearance is resumed. It is said that the sunlight gives the lake its blue colour.

There was a walk around the lake but as it was just a road circuit, and not a walk around the base of the lake we deceived to give it a miss. It was very hot too and we thought it would be nice to go back to camp and rest before dinner.

On the way back we saw a Brown Sign (Touristy Attraction) for Hells Hole, our nosiness got the better of us. The track went through forestry and ended up at a signboard. Hells Hole was basically a huge Limestone well about 45 Metres across and very deep, it was only a short walk and sort of interesting. What was disappointing was people had tipped rubbish
Blue LakeBlue LakeBlue Lake

This lake is naturally blue. This is one of a few lakes in volcanic craters at Mount Gambier
in to it and totally spoilt it (i.e. we could see a sofa and a television set). Oh yes, the signboard also had bullet holes in it.

Back at base camp, Andy went into the trailer for a snooze and I went for a shower. I must say that there is only one shower for the whole campsite so I am thankful that it is not busy here. The water is also hot, bliss.

I meet with Liz on the way out and we discuss Mount Gambier, they are off into Nelson for a meal tonight, I think Nelson is quite small and has only one pub, Rick and Liz have no great expectations of their meal.

Andy gets the fire started, I wrap the potatoes in tin foil so that Andy can put them in the fire when it is up to speed.

The fire is looking good, I prepare the salad and Andy fries the beef burgers and the potatoes are happily cooking in the fire. We are thinking about buying a dutch oven so that we can cook in a proper camp fire.

I try to photograph the Superb Fairy Wrens, but they are too quick, they creep up on you and as soon as you gently swing round with the camera and press the shutter button, they hop away!

Not a very busy day, but I drive up to reception to find a signal to upload the blog, I have a chat with the camp caretaker then head back to the roaring fire. Not long after Rick and Liz join us by the fire. Liz, not one to mess around with words basically said the steak was great but the rest of the meal was s**t. Neither of them were impressed, but as I said they did not have great expectations.

We sit in the dark, the only light coming from the fire, the night sky was full of stars, we could see the Southern Cross. In the distance we can hear the sounds of the Koala’s grumbling and we hear a rustling in the trees, flicking the torch around we see a tiny Ring Tailed Possum, he freezes when he knows we are watching.

Every now and again we hear him moving around and at one point we see him holding onto a tiny branch with his
ViewViewView

Mount Schank is in the distance
tail while he hangs upside down and eats the berries from the tree.

Rick and Liz leave to head back towards Melbourne tomorrow, we say our goodbyes and they walk off into the darkness.

As for Andy and I, we get into our now single sleeping bags, I separated them earlier as we are experimenting to see if we can be any warmer, but deceptively it is a slightly warmer night.

Lying in bed we hear the sounds of the love sick Koalas with their mating calls and the thud of the Kangaroos as they potter around camp. I lie awake for a while hoping that the tiny Possum does not see fit to break into our tent.

Until tomorrow bloggers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hells HoleHells Hole
Hells Hole

People actually go diving in here. Yuck!!
TubbyTubby
Tubby

This maybe a dove but whatever it is it is looking very tubby as it searches for food by the water pipe.
Camp FireCamp Fire
Camp Fire

Warms our evening.


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb