Wine tasting in the Yarra valley


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Yarra Valley
November 3rd 2017
Published: November 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today, after an early breakfast we went off to Melbourne by train. We used a “Mykie card” and had a pleasant trip in having a chat with some locals on the train. We also got the call from Mckenzie’s the airport baggage people to say that they had Alex’s case and would deliver it to our apartment between 10 and 1400. Result, woo hoo.



We got to Flinders Street station and walked a few yards to the Swanson street junction to wait for our pick u p with “Dancing Kangaroo Tours” for our trip to the Yarra Valley wine tasting. All in all we went to 4 wineries where we tasted 8 samples at each. I bought a bott of red at one and a bott of white at another. I guess each sample was an inch of wine in a large glass. So in total we had 32 inches of wine plus a half a large glass to go with lunch of pizza and salads.



After lunch we went to the cheese making place where we bought some ash covered goats cheese and crackers. Next was the chocolate factory where they sold the stuff in every shape and form from posh to normal run of the mill. They sold in 1kg blocks, a metre long, loose bits and in white, milk or dark! They sold cakes and ice cream too. For $4.25 you get a humongous scoop of ice cream and I can recommend th honeycomb flavour. The last stop was at the cider house where for $10 you could try 4 x 250mls of ciders and beers. We shared the glasse. Our journey back to the city took about an hour.



We had a little walk about and found a street with walls covered in street art and even saw a couple of artists at work. Our journey home to Dandenong was nice and quiet and most of the platforms had armed transport Police patrolling. The trains were clean and tidy and the rail staff all very helpful. On one of the platforms in Flinders Street the train announcer was walking along a platform, microphone in hand, announcing the trains.



We got back to the apartment about 8pm and had our cheese and crackers and a glass of sav for dinner while watching that old favourite film, the worlds fastest Indian.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



3rd November 2017

Love the blogs!
Exciting start to the hols and pretty pie eyed too after your wine tasting exped!!? Love the street art.....going to see Grayson Perry exhib in Bristol tomorrow....not that he is street art but has that colour, flamboyance and message! Take care and enjoy.
3rd November 2017

Gosnell blogs
Hi Jane, Hope you don’t mind getting them. Weather is a balmy 14c. Up in Cairns, where we will get to it’s 30c. Pete & Alex

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb