Hi from Swan Hill


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Swan Hill
May 23rd 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This morning we walked along the riverfront and had a look at the smarter Echuca shops before heading back to the motor home to pack and get on the road.


It was a rather uninspiring drive west, windy with scrubby country most of the way. Once more we were surprised as we were last year when we came to the town of Cohuna where water is plentiful - lakes, full canals, waterslides, fountains in the park - I don't know if they have a spring but strange to see so much water amongst such dry country. There are a few salt lakes around that area, although one, Lake Boga, is completely empty .. the result of the long Victorian drought. Lake Boga was the base for Catalina flying boats during the war and there is a museum on the lake edge containing one of the planes and information from those days. http://www.kerangonline.com.au/lake_boga/.

Sailing clubs and holiday B&Bs are dotted around the dry lake and in the area so the locals are no doubt mourning their loss and hoping water will one day return to Lake Boga.


On to Swan Hill. It was only early afternoon but we decided we’d stop here in the caravan park by the river for the night, rather than go the extra 150 or so kilometres to Mildura. We went for a stroll along the river - once more the little ‘PYAP’ paddle wheeler came tootling along, blowing its whistle as it passed. Then two large flocks of grey and pink galahs flew screeching overhead - very loud and very impressive.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb