It Started with a Hiss


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Sale
April 6th 2013
Published: April 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 1607



6 April 2013.







Saturday morning brings a slightly warmer morning than some we have experienced recently although still a little on the cool side it was much easier to get out of bed to start the day.



Oh yes, it’s my birthday today! I nearly forgot, but Andy was not going to forget, he was keen to take me out for a meal which meant of course we needed to be in civilisation to do so. We had options, do we stay in Omeo? Or do we move on to the next town today?



It was a small conundrum, but there was another plan in the making that we were considering for our time constraints and that meant head south to Inverloch, why Inverloch? Well for our regular readers or perhaps I should say those that have followed us from the start of our adventure you may recall that we met the Truman family on the Nullarbor, almost 4 years ago to the day, and we had been promising to visit them in Victoria ever since, but time has not always been on
Flat TyreFlat TyreFlat Tyre

Fortuantley, it was only flat at the bottom
our side, so as we lay there nice and warm in bed, we decided that we would move on today.



You may want to look up the original blog, (The Travelling Truey’s) Day 158 as I type this we are on day (1607



Andy made the chai’s, I got the toast and marmite ready and we set about packing up, which really did not take us long at all. Our pit stop in Omeo meant that we had clean clothes, (Care of the Camp Laundry) batteries topped up on mains power and of course full tanks of water.



Just before 9.30 we pulled off site, waving to our neighbours who were in the process of packing up their caravan to do the same thing. I directed Andy off site and onto the Bairnsdale Road, dutifully he followed my instruction and we were very quickly on the right road.



No sooner than we had taken the turn onto the right road and straightened up, I heard a loud popping noise and then a very loud and clear hiss. That is not a good sound and almost immediately Andy pulled over into a very convenient layby.



We had one very flat tyre, it went flat exceptionally quickly and was in fact so flat that Andy had a real job to fit the jack underneath. Let me just add at this point that I offered to help, but Andy said he would change the tyre, so I stood by and just awaited the occasional instruction to pass down tools as he required.



As Andy is doing the deed, we see our neighbours from the caravan park, drive past, they beeped and waved at us, it was a Saturday morning and there was a fair amount of traffic around, but 3 other people (with 4 wheel drives) stopped and asked if we were ok and if we wanted a hand. We declined grateful for the offers of help, but there was really nothing anyone else could do, we just needed to get on with it.



This also meant that we needed to try and be in Bairnsdale by midday, being a Saturday the tyre places would of course all be closed by midday, despite our best efforts we did not make it in time. We had some lunch in Bairnsdale and pondered our next move.



The reason why this move needed some thought is because now we have had one puncture we are now without a spare. Not a smart move on our part, but we usually carry 3 spares, two on the truck and one on the trailer, but because the new truck is not yet fully set up we could not carry the additional two. The tyre places would not open until Monday morning, so we figured that we should head to the next town, no bush camping until we are fixed.



We made it to Sale and found a site at the showgrounds for $19 per night. Not a bad price, there were good facilities here and pretty decent hot showers. We paid and drove round to find ourselves a good spot to set up for the night. Oh, I nearly forgot to mention, the lady that ran the site had a grumble about how cold it was this morning. I laughed and said we had just come down from the Alpine region and we live in Canberra. She did not say too much after that, but did mutter something like “you know cold then” yes, we certainly do know cold.



Early that evening we went for a drive, I had already researched restaurants in the area so knew what was around. Sale was not a very big place so I think we saw most of it within about 10 minutes, we saw all the restaurants that I had seen online and then spotted the “Sale Curry House”. We both decided that would be perfect and I have to say it was a nice birthday treat. We had a great curry and it was a very friendly and prompt service, I have to say their Keema Nan’s are the best I have ever tasted, without question.



Sunday morning started with a heavy dew, not so cold as it had been for us in recent days so it was a pleasurable start to the day, also the clocks went back overnight which meant that we were up nice and early, not late like we had been doing recently.



Our plan today was to head to Inverloch. So we packed up and hit the road towards the
Caroline (Birthdau Girl)Caroline (Birthdau Girl)Caroline (Birthdau Girl)

Waiting for her dinner
coast for the scenic route. I have to say that the road was one of the bumpiest and most uncomfortable bitumen roads I have driven on in a long time and that is saying something considering the corrugated dirt tracks that we so frequently drive on. It was a relief to arrive in Inverloch.



With my trusty sat nav in hand we found the address we were looking for with ease and within minutes of our arrival in Inverloch we were pulling up on The Trumans driveway.



It is quite amazing because both Josh and Kahlia have grown up since we last saw them, well it is 4 years, and yet, it seems like no time at all has passed. We were welcomed inside, the kettle was on and cake (chocolate brownie with raspberries) was produced (also in celebration of my birthday), which was absolutely delicious.



We all sat in the back garden and chatted, Jarra, the dog enjoyed having visitors, she kept coming round to see us because she knew that she would get a fuss.



After lunch, we all piled into Kens trusty Nissan Patrol, these are great because with the additional seats in the very back, all 6 of us fitted perfectly. Ken drove us around the sights of Inverloch and our first stop was Eagle Rock.



We all piled out and onto the beach, we met some friends of the Trumans who joined us on the walk across the rocks to see Eagle Rock. It seemed to be very popular, there were only a couple of people on the beach, but several people walking around the rock.



The afternoon was lovely and sunny and warm, but the sea water was quite cold and first paddle but very quickly felt warm, Andy and Ken walked around the headland to see the caves, Jodie and I stood in the water watching Kahlia and her friend do a little bit of snorkelling. The sun had started to go down casting its cool shadow across the beach, so it was time to move on.



Back in the car we head over to the surf beach, there are no cliffs on this section so the beach was still sunny and amazingly there were still loads of people sat on the
The GirlsThe GirlsThe Girls

Caroline, Jodie and Sam
beach soaking up the last warmth of the sun for the day and perhaps for the season, just making the most of these days before the winter comes.



Our last stop was the Pier, Ken and Jodie explained that sometimes you could see Manta Rays from the pier if you were lucky. They were not wrong, we were graced with the presence of at least two, one of them was very large and kept swimming around directly below us, it was an awesome sight to see such a beautiful creature in its natural habitat.



Later we all settled in for dinner around the dinner table, we chatted for ages but it seemed that the clock change was catching up with some of us (mentioning no names) and it really was time for bed.



Andy and I were really pleased that we managed to finally make it down to Inverloch, and I have to say, it is a very nice seaside town and it looks like a great place to live, now we know what all the fuss is about.



Sleep came easy tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Back together again.Back together again.
Back together again.

Caroline, Andy, Ken, Josh Jodie and Khalia


10th April 2013

Flat tyres
I always expected that I would get a flat tyre at some stage but I never expected my tire would explode. We were driving out of Kempsey (NSW) when there was a "BANG" from the back and the camper began to wobble all over the road (a bit scary when you're doing 100kph). We pulled off to the side of the road and had a look. You can see from the photo what we found [photo=7465904]. Went to change the wheel and discovered that the nut size on the camper was different from the car so our brace wouldn't undo them (now remedied). Had to call the NRMA. Sitting at the side of the Pacific Highway while cars and trucks roared past was pretty scary. You don't realise how fast those people are going until you stop! We set out our three emergency triangles at 100 metre intervals before the camper (commended by the NRMA guy) and waited with heart in mouth hoping we wouldn't be hit by a careless car/truck. Obviously we survived but it was rather scary. We are off up to the North NSW coast next week. Sylvia has finally finished her quilt for her son and we are going to deliver it. We may be in Canberra in May. If so, can we have a coffee together? John.
10th April 2013

What a fabulous day! We better not leave it another 4 years until the next get together xx
12th April 2013

Hi All,
Hi all, Thanks for a great time, we loved every minute, we thought where you lived was very special and we just loved the Prom. We really appreciatethe time you spent with us. Our love to you all. Andy & Caroline

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb