Wonthaggi to Queenscliff


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Queenscliff
March 20th 2013
Published: March 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The cold snap that hit Victoria seems to have been replaced with a dry warm air flow making todays journey more summer like.

We left Wonthaggi early and drove to Sorrento through rolling country. Marg shot some landscape from the MH while I drove, and the country is very very dry. Once again we saw that a lot of hay has been cut and stored for winter feed, but the pasture just has not recovered.

Not far out of Wonthaggi is a sky diving club/airport. However, firstly read the sign - noy sure about this. Then, it seams a local trawler mistook the runway lights for navigation beacons and parked his boat on the airport.

I have talked about my mate Tom Tom the Navigator. He nearly was buried at sea today after he led us safely to our destination via the worst possible choice of roads. Yes, they were a well used short cut, but the road surface was better shaped for use on a roof than for driving. Then later he told us to turn right after we had passed the correct intersection. No matter, he told us to take the next two intersections right. We would have got to our destination via cliff face, and probably not in good shape. No matter, we saw the problem and followed the next instruction. Take the next left and the next left. We have now seen areas of Sorrento that even the locals would not know existed. After much ado, Tom announced that we had reached our destination, AND IT WAS TRUE! Chirpie blighter even bragged about it!

As a special treat we went on a cruise from Sorrento to Queenscliffe, be it all of 40 minutes. Now we got to the terminal, paid our money, I was waved on and they discovered I was about 100mm too long. So, I had to back off the ferry, they shut the ramps and David and Mary sailed off leaving us in Sorrento. Luckily this is an houry service, and we comforted our selves with lunch and strong coffee.

We were first on and first off the ferry, caught up with D & M at Queenscliffe. This is a quaint old town and I wish we had the time to doo a photo shoot here. There are a couple of shots from the ferry terminal area.

On the cruise the ferry passed close to a gannet rookery that has been built in the harbour. Our photos show the gannets and their chicks, and there was a seal sunbaking on the platform as well. Not sure if they eat gannets or not, but it did seem a strange cohabitation.

We have enjoyed the day, and hope you enjoy the pics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Crazy self portraitCrazy self portrait
Crazy self portrait

Should have gone to Davy Jonse's Locker along with Tom Tom
Gannett rookeryGannett rookery
Gannett rookery

This is built in the harbour. Look for the chicks and the resident seal.


20th March 2013

Great photo record
We enjoyed your move and the scenery which continues to be first rate. Some people get all the fun Oh to be young again and have plenty of the folding stuff!! Keep em coming US2@136

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb