Port Fairy


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Fairy
April 1st 2013
Published: April 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monday April 1st



From time to time I have seen traveller's pictures of Port Fairy in Victoria and thought I would love to visit this quaint town. Today we did a half day trip from Koroit and discovered that the settlement was originally called Belfast, so the Irish connection and theme followed again today, but maybe not as obvious as at Koroit. Both towns are in Moyne Shire, and that I think maybe another hint of the Irish settlement of this part of the colony.



As we drove into town we noted many old cottages and buildings before stopping at the wharf. I have seen some magic photos here with low light, still water, and reflections setting the mood. Today was cold, windy, occasional showers and not conducive of magical reflections.



We walked around the business centre and noted more closely the old buildings interspersed with not quite so old buildings. The photos tell the picture of this quaint town and the older buildings. Most of the buildings were built in the 1870s and 1880s. In Australian terms, that is quite old. Most were stone construction. Some only the facade was stone, the balance being timber framed and clad.



Before leaving town we went to the beach. This was not a swimming day! Certainly where we met the coast, the waterfront was a series of rocky reefs, and for me, not swimmable. There was a strong (cold) wind blowing whipping up the surf creating a very noisy waterfront.



Port Fairy has about 4,000 residents, it swells to 10,000 when there is a public holiday, and 40,000 when one of the festivals is on. As visitors, we noted that many of the dress and fashion shops had beautiful and unique apparel for sale. So it was a big change from the run of the mill chain store shops.



There is a little island just off the end of the boat harbour entrance, and it is possible via a board walk to walk right around the island. The wind and changeable weather held us back. However, had we gone, there would be mutton birds as this is one of their resting and nesting places.



David and Mary were here 18 months ago and froze in the early spring gales. They fared better today, and just maybe, a third visit will produce a bonzer (Aussie for fantastic) day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

French for a changeFrench for a change
French for a change

According to the building plaque
The lolly shopThe lolly shop
The lolly shop

A must stop if only for nostalgia


1st April 2013

Olde worlde place
As you quaint but kept in pretty good order considering the age of most of them. Pity is was so cold and overcast but photos came out fine

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb