Thursday 6th November - Philip Island - one for Catherine and Brian


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
December 5th 2014
Published: December 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today I'm off on a tour to Philip island to see the penguins and the nightly penguins parade.



It was alter start than all my other trips 11am! Result!



We had a mini bus and our driver was Greg who was accompanied by two trainees - a guy and a girl.



The first keg of the trip was just over an hour and we stopped off at the Moonlight sanctuary where we had a sandwich lunch. I took some photo of the wildlife in glass ranks spotted around the gift shop and restaurants. Snakes, reptiles, fish and prawns were the order of the day.



After lunch Greg showed us around some of the sanctuary and identified various water birds for us. We had a look at the wombat and took a walk to see if we could spit any kangaroos and wallabies. The kangaroos were off in the woodland snoozing but we did get up close and personal with a wallaby couple who had a joey in tow but the baby was in the pouch and wasn't coming out.



After the walk we went to see the koala talk and ax few people had paid to 'cuddle' the koala and have their photo taken with them. We then had some free time to wander around so I went back to see the wallabies and roo's. If bought some roo food so tried to tempt them out, the local bird life was have a feast lol. Luckily we were in luck and some wallabies came out and I turned around and suddenly there was a medium sized roo wanting feeding too lol. I Aldo saw the emu - my first in Oz and dingo's and birds of prey.



Soon it was time to get back on the bus and head to Churchill island to see a sheep dog and sheep shearing demonstration. We visited a farm which still looks very Victorian in design with the original house and gardens there and also restored farm buildings. The guy presenting was clearly well versed in both dog handling and sheep shearing. The dog was still learning and very keen so sometimes didn't do what he was supposed to do which made the crowd chuckle. When he did the sheep,shearing he gave us a few facts and figures about the world record for sheep shearing both using the old fashioned shears and the new modern electric ones.



After thee demonstrations we had some free time to wander around the farm house and gardens and take in the views. After the farm we had a short trip to the koala sanctuary. Here we could walk along the board walks and were almost level, and in some places with the koala living in the trees!



After the koala sanctuary we headed to Philip island and the nobbies which is a group of rocks on the costs and also where they have a bird sanctuary. Here we had tea and then had a walk around the aboard walks amongst the gulls who were roosting. We could also see penguins nesting boxes and the odd one had a penguins roosting inside as they are currently in the breeding season and they would be keeping the eggs warm and waiting for their mate to return. There were stunning views of the cost line to be had. It was still sunny but rather cool due to the sea breeze blowing.



After the board walk we headed back to the coach and drive to where the penguin parade takes place. We arrived ahead of the majority of the other coaches so we could get good seats to see the penguins when they came out of the sea. It turned out that I was booked in penguin plus which I didn't know about, so it meant we had better seats near to the penguins highway lol, and we also got a free hit drink and a discount on a photoshop image lol.



We had a quick walk round the gift shop and the info centre before heading out to the viewing area. When I first got there only a handful of people had taken up their viewing positions. Grant had said we should sit at the top so that we could see the little guys come out of the water, so that is what we did. We were not allowed to take any photos or do any filming. The flash and temporarily blind the birds and sometimes frighten them and they could regurgitate the fish they have caught, which means a hungry chick. So all cameras, phones, iPads etc away.



The ranger gave us a bit of presentation about the penguins, habits, population etc. The sun had set and we had a full moon and you could see them on the shore line gathering. We had to be quiet so as not to frighten them. Just sit quietly and watch as one of mother natures great events takes place. We were not disappointed!



About 50 or so penguins came out, started their way across the sand then ran back in as they got spooked by a naughty seagull which was harassing them. Their predators are birds of prey who would be roosting at that time and foxes which were Introduced to the island by us Brits! They do kill or certainly remove the foxes from the island to protect the birds.



Eventually they got the courage up to cross the sand and make their way back to their nests. Their little feet moving as fast as they could and waddling with fat bellies full of fish for their babies and their wings out to steady themselves. I watched a few groups come across the sand and then moved to the bird walk to watch them scurry past listening to their penguin talk and even the little noises they make as they loo lol. The birds were literally about a foot in front of me and had I been allowed I could have reached out and touched them. It was an amazing experience to see and yet another of mother natures wonders.



After the penguin parade we all headed back to the bus, aster walked along the board walk we could see some of the mum and dad penguins with their babies. Most of them looked almost fully grown, but still had lots of the downy feathers on them and looked so cute.



Once we got back to the bus we headed back to the city and finally got dropped off just after 11pm. I had to get all my stuff ready for leaving the next day as I was checking out at 10am and I didn't want to wake the girls. They were still up when I got back and told them about my trip and vice versa. So we said our goodbyes and all headed off to bed.



Xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb