Phillip Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
June 21st 2014
Published: November 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

ext stop was Phillip Island. We'd seen a programme before we left about this place being home to the Little Penguins, the worlds smallest penguins, so obviously we had to go! We spent the first day driving back along the Great Ocean Road, slowing down the traffic once again to take even more photographs! The drive really is fantastic! We made it to Phillip Island where we encountered our first possum. Its fair to say he startled Kev the first time he jumped out to say hello!

We spent the next morning at a Kuala sanctuary trying to spot Kualas sleeping in the trees which is much more difficult than you might think! We also saw a lot of Lorikeet's (they look just like parrots), but later realised they are a very common bird in Australia so the excitement of seeing them soon wore off.

Then came the time to see the penguins. We got there early, along with everyone else, to get the best spot. Even in winter this is a very popular tourist activity. But Kev raced us down the bottom and got us an excellent seat. We then played the waiting game. We sat there on the beach waiting for the penguins to run up towards their home. When they did come up the beach they came in groups and once they saw the seagulls sitting there they ran straight back out to sea. It took each group a few attempts to build up the courage and run past the seagulls. They were adorable! I wanted one straight away. Once we had seen a few groups tackle the run up the beach we walked back up and followed them home on a raised platform. We were about a foot away, or within stealing distance, from them. They carried on as if we weren't there. It was a fantastic way to spend an evening.

As the sanctuary is open the penguins are free to go wherever they like, we were told to check under our car before we left in case they had hidden underneath and then a ranger would come and take it to safety. Well had there have been a penguin under my car the only place it was going was home with me. Unfortunately there wasn't any.

We have no photographs of the penguins as photography was not allowed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb