Day 104 - Melbourne and Travel to Philip Island, Victoria, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
March 2nd 2014
Published: March 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 2nd March 2014. Melbourne and Travel to Philip Island, Victoria, Australia

We woke up early as Ian was coming to meet us for breakfast. It was a lovely day so D went up to the YH terrace to take some pictures of the Melbourne skyline before going down to Glen's cafe to meet Ian. M joined them about 5 minutes later. It was great to see Ian again and M had got the laptop this time so was able to enter more information into the family tree (courtesy of Ian of course). The time went all too quickly and Ian had to leave to go to work. We said our goodbyes and then we checked out of our room at 10.00 am and went to the cafe. D guarded the stuff while M went to the Victoria market to purchase some small gifts for friends and family and some sheepskin slippers for her aunty witch.

M returned to the YH where she discovered that she had won a case of wine at the festival we had attended in Sydney - couldn't believe it. She fired off an email asking for it to be delivered to William in Tasmania. We had a roast dinner at Glen's before making our way down to the Southern Cross bus station where we caught the bus for the 2 and a half hour journey to Philip Island. We were a bit surprised to see that we had to change buses in the middle of nowhere. All this was completed successfully and we managed to alight at the correct stop and found that we were about as close to the YH as we could possibly be. It was quite flash - but so it should be as it was one of the most expensive ones we had used.

Once we had checked in we strolled across the Philip Island Bridge to the town of St Remo where we found a fantastic bar that was a cross between a hotel and a bookies. It was called the San Remo Hotel. There were TV screens all over and you could watch (and bet on) loads of sports. M loved watching the greyhound racing and the harness racing. The bar staff were able to serve drinks and take bets - they just had to use different tills - what a wonderful idea.

We returned to the YH via the local IGA store back over on Philip Island. D found a couple of filet steaks for pennies. D cooked these for dinner which we had with a fresh salad. We went to our luxury room and watched some TV before retiring. We are looking forward to exploring Philip Island tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb