Penguin Parade


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Philip Island
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phillip Island LocationPhillip Island LocationPhillip Island Location

Damn that flash.....
Hello,

I hope this entry finds you all well.

I am off to the Great Barrier Reef tomorrow (1/24) in Cairns, Queensland, Australia, but wanted to leave an update on my past travels before my flight. I will be taking plenty of pictures to upload, and in addition, I hope that I will be able to figure out how to post videos of my travels online too.

I caravanned with a group of students to Phillip Island (located in southeast Victoria about 2 hours from Melbourne) to watch the “Penguin Parade” this past weekend. The parade occurs each night at sundown as hundreds of Little Penguins (formerly known as Fairy Penguins—the smallest of the world’s 17 species of penguins—standing approximately 12-14 inches tall) leave the ocean and return to the shore for bedtime. While in the ocean, the penguins form into groups called “rafts” (for protection purposes—they look bigger to predators if they appear as one unit) and swim for the beach. Once arriving on the beach, the penguins fall into a somewhat single file line (again to look larger to predators—i.e. sea eagles, hawks) and begin navigating the sand until they reach their homes on the shrub
Penguin PosterPenguin PosterPenguin Poster

This is about as close to the penguins as the Park Rangers would allow you.
covered hillside adjacent the beach. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the little guys, as all photography (especially flash photography at nighttime) is extremely prohibited due to the potential for causing penguin blindness. The park rangers are extremely serious and confiscated multiple cameras.

After watching the penguins make their way back to their homes, my group headed to our hostel in the city of Cowes to get the night started off with a little game I like to call “Edward 40-hands.” Good time as usual . . .

The next morning, I threw on my swim trunks and headed to the Western Port Beach in Cowes. I was planning on honing my surfing skills, as the beach is also a very popular destination for surfers, but to my surprise the beach was closed . . . There were yellow “NO SWIMMING” buoys littered all over the surf. Just so happens that one day earlier a 6m (~19feet) Great White Shark was spotted right of the coast of Western Port Beach in Cowes. I took a picture of a local newspaper clipping, so I hope that you will be able to zoom in close enough to read the article when you click on the picture. Pretty crazy.

Since beach activities were cancelled for the day, the group did some sightseeing and shopping before driving back to Melbourne. I decided to take the wheel for the first time and drove exquisitely back to the city! Actually driving was incredibly frightening initially—everything except for the pedals is backwards. The windshield wiper handle and turning signal are switched, so, lets just say that my windshield was spotless before I made it out of Cowes. Highway driving was much, much easier than city driving—in Melbourne, there are trams, trains, cars and even horse-pulled carriages on the road—absolute chaos.

Please take care and feel free to email me at anytime. Have a great week and make sure you celebrate Australian Day on Jan. 26th!

Andy



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Pretty cheesy.....Pretty cheesy.....
Pretty cheesy.....

......but I had to show you what they looked like....
Cowes Koala HostelCowes Koala Hostel
Cowes Koala Hostel

I was thinking that based on the name there would possibly be koalas....I was sorely mistaken....8 beds and only one bathroom to a single room. Wow. Truthfully, I thought it was a step up from the miniature closet in which I have been sleeping.
Edward 40-handsEdward 40-hands
Edward 40-hands

Sally, myself, Mike and Michelle were disappointed that we could not find Colt 45's, but Carlton Draught did the job just fine....
Jaws!Jaws!
Jaws!

In addition, the top story on the news tonight was that a man in New South Wales saved himself from the jaws of a Great White by poking the shark in the eye even though the shark had the man by the head.....true story. Ginormous cojones on that man.
My first driving experienceMy first driving experience
My first driving experience

Beautiful navy-blue Lancer.....I would still take the Newtmobile any day of the week.
Stay AwakeStay Awake
Stay Awake

There is a very high rate of driving fatalities in Australia. Government or auto-makers or whoever seem to think that people crash because they are sleep deprived and not due to the fact that Aussie drivers are unbelievable risk-takers. I have seen three occassions (during my ~14 hours in the car) in which motorcycles doing well over 175km/hr will routinely split cars driving parallel to each other on the highway....often while popping a wheelie....Anyway, newer cars are equipped with this "coffee mug" feature that warns drivers that they have been driving for 2 hours continuously and need to get some rest. Ha!
Obstacle CourseObstacle Course
Obstacle Course

Driving through Hawthorn, a suburb of Melbourne.


25th January 2007

Penguins
Is there any way you can get me a pet penguin??????????????
31st January 2007

Saw the story on the sharks. Send pics!!! Get an underwater camera!

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb