Mornington Peninsula


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mornington Peninsula
April 19th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mornington MarketsMornington MarketsMornington Markets

Judy trying on a hat on sale.
Tuesday 13th April

After a good sleep we were up and at it this morning looking forward to the next part of our adventure, a little saddened by having to leave the company and hospitality of Richard and Carol.

Whilst Rags spent some time readying the van for our journey, Judy swapped photos with Richard recording our time with them. After morning tea, and paying the toll for the freeway on the Net, we made our farewells. Rags had a bit of trouble getting the van down the steep narrow drive but soon we were off.

The freeway was just that and in no time we reached Frankstown, the van sitting nicely at 100kph and still getting under 15litres/100kms. Here, we stopped at the Information Centre at the beach and were given all the spots worth visiting. Very helpful staff and a great facility, but they didn't plan on visitors with caravans as there was no parking for big units so we had to straddle several spots. Of course an unthinking lady parked right in front of us, we having to squeeze our way out.

From here, after a few wrong turns, we went to the McClelland
Mornington MarketsMornington MarketsMornington Markets

This gent is a bit of a landmark. He tells passersby about the market and then starts singing. The songs vary from Xmas carols to songs from the 40s.
Gallery+Sculpture Park, a 16 Ha bush and landscaped garden with sculptures found in clearings and in lawned areas. Interesting enough, made a bit more memorable to us in that we entered a fenced bush area which is being developed. On our return to the gate Rags heard the tractor which had been working nearby, drive up behind us. As he expected, the gate was now locked and we were trapped behind a 2 metre fence topped with barb wire. Rags scaled the gate without too many problems and ran after the tractor. This he found at the art gallery where the workmen were sitting down to a meal in the canteen. They thought it a great joke (as it was) but were very apologetic. One went back to the gate and let a patient Judy out. Gives them something to talk about!

We drove to the cutely named town of Rosebud, which apparently has been a traditional family holiday resort since late last century and continues today. The local council has a 7 km coastal strip reserve which is for public use including a large camping area where we decided to set up camp. If you pay for just a little more than 4 individual night's stay you get 7 nights. We haven't made up our minds yet to stay for a week but we have taken this option so that we may travel up and down the peninsula without having to tow the van everywhere.

Wednesday 14th April 2010

Mornington was our destination this morning as we were told they have a market in the main street (named Main St of course) every Wednesday. These markets sold veges and fruit as well as the usual things you find in markets, Judy delighting in examining each one, Rags losing her regularly when she slipped into the adjacent shops! At the end of the street one overlooks the beach and harbour from above and it was here we had an early lunch in the company of seagulls who took the scraps out of your hand whilst sitting on our table.

From here we followed the coastline south with good views from the area named Mt Martha, stopping at Safety Beach. Here there were lines of brightly coloured sheds, similar to those we saw in England. Here, it has obviously become a bit of a prestigious “yuppie” thing
It's a small worldIt's a small worldIt's a small world

We met the only other tourists in he area and they were from WA! Judy had met Roxanne through the 100SP.
to own one of these glorified garden sheds, we seeing one advertised for $290K. Whilst there we met the only other couple on the beach and found that not only did they come from WA, the lady was a teacher and her previous principal in Bunbury was someone we went travelling to Slovakia & Slovenia with in 2001. Small world.


As a teenager, Judy remembered going to Arthur's Seat, a lookout on the hills overlooking Dromana. A steep, twisting road took us up into the hills finally reaching the top. The views weren't as clear as they could have been due to the weather and also because trees now blocked them. In the past people would come up here to escape the heat below using the chairlift which is now out of use. On the way down we stopped several times to take photos of the views from different angles being able to see the end of the peninsula and back to Melbourne itself.

Aldi's, a supermarket we had seen in England, is in Rosebud, so we walked to this from our campsite to have a little bit of exercise. This company is obviously trying to compete
Beach sheds on PeninsulaBeach sheds on PeninsulaBeach sheds on Peninsula

These have been known to sell for over $250K! No water, power, toilet.
with Coles & Woolies, is rather spartan in its setup and not different to the competition.

Thursday 15th April 2010

A grey morning greeted us so we decided that today we would explore the inland areas today. We retraced our trip up to Arthur's Seat and continued on through the lush vegetation to the vineyard area. Here, we stopped at TGallant Winery, known for introducing pinot grigio to the area. We tasted several of their wines even though it was still rather early but neither of us were greatly impressed by them. The scenery from the cellars was something special and we imagined that with a group of people, on a sunny day, lunch there would be pretty special. We stopped at another winery further on and admired their views too, we being too early for them to be open.

Neither of us were of a mind to visit more wineries so we made our way to the coast, Point Leo, being the first stop. Here we walked along the top of the cliffs overlooking a large bay, with surfers on their long boards enjoying a small surf break.

From here we traveled north to Hastings, one of the larger towns in the area and walked up and down the main street looking at the interesting (to Judy) strip shopping as well as looking for somewhere to have lunch. Nothing took our fancy so we went further north to the small town of Tyabb. The tourist brochures mention this town for its antique shops, but we found a place which made the best hamburgers we have had on this trip (not that we've had many, but they were good.) As an aside, we were parked in a 15 minute zone and Judy was worried we might get booked. Two parking spaces on they became 1 hour spots. When one of these became vacant Judy had Rags go to the car to move into it. Of course, just before he could move, the spot was taken. This happened twice, after which Rags refused to move. We left after lunch without any problems.

From here we went south again to the town of Flinders. This area was found by Bass & Flinders and named accordingly. The spectacular view over the bay and harbour was enhanced by the lack of wind and the sun breaking through whilst we
Trees at FlindersTrees at FlindersTrees at Flinders

We saw several stands of these interesting looking trees on the peninsula
were there.

From here we continued back to Rosebud, glimpsing the red cap of the Cape Schanck lighthouse on the way.


Friday 16th April 2010

Sorrento was our main destination today just 16km from Rosebud along the peninsula. Sorrento is the port for the ferry which goes across to Queenscliff, the other side of Port Phillip Bay. The ferries are smaller than those that we saw in the Greek islands but even so are able to carry about 80 cars and caravans. We watched 2 vans and about 10 vehicles drive on without any problems and as a ferry leaves every hour it is no great effort to travel across. We don't intend to put our vehicle on it, just go as pedestrian passengers tomorrow.

Sorrento has some impressive old buildings such as the hotel dating back to the early 1800s. We parked near the Tourist Information kiosk on the main street and after chattng to the friendly volunteer in the Information Centre we walked down the street before continuing for the kilometre or so to the Back Beach. Here we watched the surf breaking on a rugged piece of coastline after climbing the hill
Sorrento HotelSorrento HotelSorrento Hotel

Right on top of hill,once overlooking the harbour, now facing some ugly apartments built in front of it.
behind the surf club to the lookout above from where we had incredible views along the coast . From here we walked along a track behind the cemetery to the road back into town.

By the time we got back to town it was nearly lunchtime so after looking at a few of the outlets settled on one where we had a fritata with a tuna salad. Tasty, and gave us time to rest our legs a bit.

From here we followed the coast for another 10kms or so to the next town, Portsea. This town borders the end of the peninsula, which is now a national park. In the past it was an army reserve and it was there, at Cheviot Beach, that prime Minister Harold E. Holt, disappeared in the early 60s.

The town itself has many large expensive houses lining the water's edge, the tourist bureau calling it “Millionaires Row”.

Us plebs walked along the beach in front of them, looking at the boats and yachts moored in the bay in front of them as well as checking out the colourful beach sheds. We did get to see inside a couple that were being used, all we could see was that they are storage sheds for tables and chairs, beach umbrellas etc. None were big enough to have beds and it didn't appear as if they had toilet facilities. Owning one at the costs we saw are really over the top!

Victoria has a right to call itself the “Garden State”, even though water restrictions are in force the gardens are green and the natural vegetation and narrow winding roads remind us of those we saw in England. As the day was in the low 20s with no cloud or wind it made for a memorable day.


Saturday 17th April 2010

We caught the 10am ferry to Queenscliff after driving back down the coast to Sorrento from where it leaves. We noted that if we were to use the ferry to get across with the van it would cost $70 on the 7am trip. The price after that time depends on the length of the van and ours would cost more.
We would consider it if we were on our way home as Queenscliff is the beginning of the Great Ocean Road but on this trip we'll approach it
FerryFerryFerry

This is the Queenscliff - Sorrento ferry we travelled on.
from the other side.

Queenscliff is a town which was built in the early 1800s as a holiday destination for those living in Melbourne. It is still that and as we walked down Hesse St, the main shopping street, found that food outlets and clothing shops were the norm.

At the end of Hesse St we turned to the left and came across military buildings, in 1860 they housed cannons for coastal defence, now it has the Air Training Corps there. From a viewing point behind it we could see across to Portsea. This relatively narrow opening into Bass Strait is called The Rip and we watched a boat being pushed sideways by the current as the tide was coming in. On an outgoing tide, all the water trapped in Port Phillip Bay would flow through here and the volume of water moving through would be immense.

Scallop pie and lamb pie, followed by coffee and a vanilla slice was our lunch and even though this may not have included all the healthy food-groups, was certainly a tasty treat.

Our legs had had enough by then so we made our way back to the ferry, via the new marina, for our trip back to Sorrento. At the new marina we stood entranced for a while watching the local from the Dive Shop feeding the resident stingrays.

Just as we neared the berth there, Judy was enthralled to be able to watch a wedding on the foreshore through binoculars. What attracted our attention was that the bride arrived by seaplane and was carried ashore by the pilot!




Sunday 18th April 2010

Just for something different we went to the markets this morning! Dromana has one at the drive-in theatre (still in operation with 3 screens) but it was more of a swap-meet than a growers market. From here we continued to Bittern where it was a little more as we anticipated. We bought a few things here including more books to add to our growing library in the van. We need to stop somewhere quiet with nothing else to do and have a few days of reading. Judy has spent many hours of our holiday on her Curtin tutoring but hasn't managed to finish reading one book yet!

From here we went to the nearby Stony Point from where a ferry goes to French and Phillip Islands. Judy quizzed the crewman of the ferry on what was on each island ( nature sanctuaries ) and the schedules. As there would only be 2 trips to Phillip Island tomorrow-8am with a 5pm return -we have decided not to take the ferry. the thought of getting up early and spending a long day on Phillip Island doesn't entice us to do the trip. We had thought to drive it but we are thinking a day doing nothing much might be the way to go!

On our return to Rosebud we saw a sign to the Crittendon winery and having heard of this wine we stopped for a tasting. We found it was not the winery we thought, just one with a similar name. The lady serving was most friendly and we chatted for some time whilst being plied with many different wines. The grigots were quite acceptable but the reds left much to be desired in Rags' opinion. Nevertheless it was an enjoyable 45mins or so, both for us and the host, (an American who had married a local but since separated) as we discussed Napa Valley and Margaret River wines etc.

Lunch was a bit of a “pig out' of bacon, sausages, eggs, baked beans and toast, after which we only had the energy to clean up before a well-needed “Nanny Nap”.

The rest of the afternoon was spent with Judy marking her uni students' work and Rags catching up with the blog. He was pleased to hear from a friend, by mobile, who he thought he'd lost contact with, later in the afternoon.

Monday 19th April 2010

The morning started with a walk along the beach, this something we still hadn't got around to doing, and after breakfast we walked for several kilometres up and back along the main highway to the Post Office to send a parcel for our grand-daughter's birthday as well as searching for a doctor's surgery to get our flu vaccine. No luck with the doctors, one had a fridge problem and lost his supplies, the other too busy to take us. We'll try again in another town.

The rest of the day was spent preparing to move on tomorrow, we washed anything that was dirty to take advantage of the supplied washing machine here as well as taking on water and Judy finalising her uni marking.

Its been good staying in one place for so long (a week) as it has given us the chance to explore the area more thoroughly without the hassle of having to pack up every day. The only downside has been the noise the local louts make at night, especially on the weekend, they being attracted to this area by the skateboard rink and gas barbecues nearby. A camper from WA next door to us had his chairs stolen one night and the swearing and yelling late in the evening is a little unsettling.











Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Stony PointStony Point
Stony Point

Overlooking the bay to French Island
Stony PointStony Point
Stony Point

Pylons remaining of a previous jetty


9th May 2010

Phillip Island is worth the trip when you're next there.

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb