Life's a beach.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mornington Peninsula
December 2nd 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

01 - Brighton Beach01 - Brighton Beach01 - Brighton Beach

Brighton beach, with the city in the background.
Well, as we are now living in Australia, we thought we'd better check out some of the local beaches.

There are a few city beaches not far from where we are living at the moment, the one in the first picture is 'Brighton' - you can see the city in the background. Brighton is a trendy area with lots of shops and cafes. This is a 'Bay Beach' as it is in the bay. Melbourne city is at the head of a big bay. If you are stood with your back to the city, looking out into the bay, there is a strip of land down the left hand side called the Mornington Peninsula. There are beaches along the bay side and there are the 'back beaches' which are on the ocean side of the Peninsula. The further down the Peninsula you go, the thinner it gets so it's not far from a bay beach across to an ocean beach.

Last week we checked out some of the beaches closer to where we have bought our land. We went to 'Lang Lang' beach which was completely deserted. You access it down an off-road track, ( 4x4's are a must
02 - Lang Lang Beach02 - Lang Lang Beach02 - Lang Lang Beach

Lang Lang beach looking left.....
here ). There is a boat launch there and the signs up said it was a good area for jetski's. There was no one around and no boats or jetski's in the water, although there were some 4x4's with boat trailers parked up.

From there we went to a place called 'Warneet' at 'Blind Bight'. This was lovely, it was a sort of inlet, in a bay - lots of grassy areas and reeds out in the shallows, a nice little pier, lovely clear water and plenty of people fishing. It would be an ideal spot to have a small boat as there is also a boat launch there.

Both these places are on the other bay, further round to the east and are within half an hour of our block of land - so I reckon a jetski may be on the cards before too long!

The weather was glorious on Sunday, so we packed up and went out to the 'real' beaches, further down the Mornington Peninsula. It was about 1 1/2 hours from our rental place to 'Rosebud', but it will only be about 40 minutes from our block. Rosebud was ace, a long
03 - Lang Lang Beach03 - Lang Lang Beach03 - Lang Lang Beach

Lang Lang Beach looking right. This beach is about 30 minutes drive from our block in Berwick and has a boat ramp to launch the jetski's that Emma doesnt know I am about to order! The place was deserted.
sandy beach with crystal clear water. You could wade out a few hundred meters and still only be up to your waist. As it s a bay beach, there is not a great deal of surf. Check out how clear the water is in pictures 08 & 09. In 08 you can see the shadow of the breakers on the sea bed!

From Rosebud we went a little further along to 'Rye'. We set up stall on the beach here and got totally sunburnt. Again, the water was beautiful. We waded right out and didn't get deeper than our waists, all the while the water is so clean and clear. It isn't that salty either, when you come out you don't dry up like you normally do, the water feels really soft and clean. It's quite bizarre.

After lunch we crossed over to the ocean side of the Peninsula, to a place called Gunnamatta. It was only a ten minute drive from Rye. This beach was hidden behind sand dunes and is a proper surfers beach. Hot chicks and surf dudes everywhere. It wasn't packed, but busy enough to have a good atmosphere. They had life guards stationed
04 - Warneet04 - Warneet04 - Warneet

This place is called Warneet and is also about half an hour away. It's a great spot for sitting aboard your boat and dropping a fishing line over the side.
here and flagged areas to stay within as there are some pretty bad rip tides on that particular beach.

We called in at a huge boat yard on the way home and checked out some second hand boats. You can get a great speedboat for less than a used car, and they practically give jetski's away round here.

Sunday was a great day, we really felt like we were living in Australia after checking out those beaches. We're really looking forward to living a bit closer to them, and picking up a couple of surf boards - ( and a jetski ). Although, judgng by the state of my legs and back, we'll have to buy some higher factor sun cream before we hit the beaches next.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

08 - Rosebud08 - Rosebud
08 - Rosebud

Rosebud was beauitful. It is one of the Peninsula beaches, on the bay side.
09  Rosebud09  Rosebud
09 Rosebud

The water was a fantastic colour.
10 - Rye10 - Rye
10 - Rye

Jetskiers about to take off at Rye.
11 - Rye11 - Rye
11 - Rye

Rosebud, Rye and Gunnamatta are all within an hour of where we will build our house in Berwick.
12 - Gunnamatta12 - Gunnamatta
12 - Gunnamatta

Gunnamatta is an ocean side beach on the peninsula. It's a proper surfers beach.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb