Australia 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 26th 2017
Published: March 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Queen Victoria MarketQueen Victoria MarketQueen Victoria Market

Need a whole day here. Debra had 10 minutes!!!
Back in Melbourne for a couple of days before heading to Noosa Heads. Melbourne, as with Sydney, is a very cosmopolitan city, although somewhat different. Keeping in mind we only spent 2 days there, however, it seemed more interesting. Public transportation included cable cars and it appeared to be less congested with traffic etc. Our neighbour in Niagara on the Lake, David Smith, gave us a couple of books on Australian architecture, which increased, at least a little, our understandings on building design etc. As a result, we took more notice of the vast array of unique buildings in Melbourne which set the city apart from others. Of course, Melbourne grew rapidly in the late 1800's as a result of the gold rush and immigrants arrived from all over the world in search of their fortune.

Our apartment/hotel the Pegasus was a great location in the West side of the city and within walking distance to many of the attractions and points of interest on our list. While Debra and Linda visited the Ian Potter Art Gallery, Roger and I took a tour of the Old Gaol (Old English word for jail) Museum. The afternoon was spent at the Melbourne Museum which had a special exhibit on Australian aborignees. The stories of abuse and discriminatory behaviour towards the Aborignals in Australia pretty much mirrors what took place in Canada. The Australian Government is taking steps towards full reconciliations but have yet to amend their constitution to recognize the role Aboriginal Mobs (in Australia tribes are called mobs) in the future of the county.

We were fortunate enough to be in Melbourne when "Iluminato" was scheduled. The light show projected onto key buildings throughout the city was a substantial event with thousands of people in attendance. The 19th century Melbourne Exhibition building was close to our Hotel and it was amazing how the images projected by the lights were customized to compliment the outer design of this beautiful structure. It was a fitting end to our Melbourne experience.

Saying goodbye to Melbourne, we fly back to Noosa Heads for some golf, pool lounging and enjoying the hot weather. Linda and Roger have booked a 2 day trip to Fraser Island and we look forward to getting their report as it is on our list of things to do a little later into our stay.

It is noteworthy of
"White Night""White Night""White Night"

Exhibition Building
the temperature variations in Australia. While in Melbourne and surrounding area, the temperature was in the high teens. This was quite a contrast to the mid-thirty temperatures we've been experiencing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb