Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 19th 2015
Published: November 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 18 November

378 kilometers driven yesterday.

The main highway is not far away and you can hear the road trains roaring passed through the night but we got a reasonable nights sleep.

We showered and readied and left the motel about 9.30 am. Pat was well after her first alcohol for a while and no suffering.

We had a some purchases to make and stopped first at Woolworths. Then popped into Mount Gambier and looked at the cave gardens in the centre of town. Then on to a coffee shop, where we had coffee and croissants to start the day.

We had a quick look at the town then off.

Our first stop was going to be Portland area and we pootled along. Pine forests are still predominating and also the trucks carrying the logs, full one way, empty the other. Another animal spotted was a hare.

We first went to Cape Bridgewater and looked at the petrified forest,which isn't, then blowholes which I don't think we saw any of, but an interesting diversion.

Back towards Bridgewater bay and a beautiful white beach stretching out for ages before it reached the sea. I braved it to see the temperature and put my feet in, which I expected to be cold and it was.

Then on to Portland and popped into a cafe for me to have a bacon and egg roll for my lunch as Pat had had some breakfast.

Next stop Port Fairy.

A new road sign for us today to beware of koalas crossing, which of course meant that koalas were about. Sadly the only one we saw after looking at the trees for mile after mile was a dead one as roadkill. Sad.

Anyway we got to Port Fairy, which was very pretty, with marinas and boats and things . After looking around headed for our accommodation in Warrnambool.

We had booked a motel yesterday just make life easier for us today, while we had good internet access.

Once again under Pat's excellent navigational skills we located the motel and checked in. AUS$89.00.

It was 17.03 pm at the motel and we had done 255 kilometers. It also appears that somewhere today crossing Victoria we gained an extra half an hour, but we didn't notice until this evening.

The guy at reception gave us some local information and we did decide to follow up on some of it. So we booked the sound & light show at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime heritage precinct for the hell of it.

We went out about 6 pm and did a recce for the show and then for some dinner which we also took the guys advice and ended up in Images for a lovely meal. Pat had chicken pesto + mushroom risotto and I had chicken caprice. Which was chicken wrapped in bacon with caramelised bananas and a ceasar salad. Presentation and quality of food 10/10 and with drinks and coffees, cost AUS$67.40.

The sound and light show was all about the Loch Ard a vessel that was sank off the coast in 1878, very interesting.

Back to the room after 10 pm.

Friday 20 November

A good nights sleep and departed the motel just before 10.00 am.

Our destination today is Melbourne, via the Grest Ocean Road, but first we thought we would back track a little and visit Tower Hill lakes., another volcanic crater feature with a park.

First stop was a Woolworths to purchase some lunch as our plan was to eat in the car along the way.

So we drove back along the highway and found the park.

As we drove in Pat spotted a real live in the wild koala in a tree, so a great start. We parked and walked up to the visitor centre to see emus wandering around.

We did one of the walks very slowly and spotted a number of other animals, including terrapins and lizards. Very pretty goldfinches and a small bird with blue colouring were amongst others flying around. As we left we spotted a kangaroo taking a rest and a rabbit.

Then back through Warrnambool, and onwards to the great ocean road.

We followed the brown signs and hit a different type of road, almost reminiscent of a winding country road through british countryside. At the early stage of the road not much ocean seen, but very much in evidence later on.

Loch Ard gorge was spotted and we took a look at the vicinity, because of seeing the show yesterday.

A short stop at Apollo Bay for a coffee, several surfer type dudes in evidence.

Geelong was the last big place before Melbourne and we had a look. We drove to Cunningham Pier and wanderered along.
After leaving Geelong at just after 6 pm ish we followed the M1 into Melbourne. We missed the exit we should have and took the next one which meant, a drive back through the area on inner city roads and a great deal of traffic.

Northcote turned up and after a call we were directed to Paul and Liz's to arrive at 8.30 pm. 414 kilometres driven today.

















Advertisement



20th November 2015

Memories
Your blog today has brought back some lovely memories of our trip along the Great Ocean Road 4 years ago. We too visited Tower Hill Reserve and also Loch Ard gorge. If Pat likes being pampered treat her to Peninsular Hot Springs. Such a wonderful place.

Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb