All Eyes on Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
March 16th 2006
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View of the MCG and the Yarra from Princess BridgeView of the MCG and the Yarra from Princess BridgeView of the MCG and the Yarra from Princess Bridge

The sunsets as the MCG and spectators on the banks of the Yarra await the start of the Opening Ceremony.
Last night the Opening Ceremony for the 2006 Commonwealth was held in Melbourne. The newly renovated MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) was centre stage for the night with the limelight occasionally passing to the banks of the Yarra. Here a flotilla of fish (each country having a native fish represented) was watched by the thousands of spectators who wanted to experience the atmosphere of the games for free!

Emma, Sean & I went to see if we could spot Mel who was taking part in the ceremony on the river. Don joined us later.

At first the fish were impressive as they spouted water in time to music and changed colours, but this became a bit repetitive after a while. At one point buglers mounted on top of the fish welcomed the queen. When the lifesaving boats rowed down the river we spotted Mel, who was part of the Jan Juc team. The baton was relayed down the river, over the fish by various AFL captain's before it was handed to a sports man who walked on water in order to deliver it to the MCG! There were fireworks too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Awaiting the Opening CeremonyAwaiting the Opening Ceremony
Awaiting the Opening Ceremony

Crowds on banks of the Yarra at sunset
Surf boats rowing down the riverSurf boats rowing down the river
Surf boats rowing down the river

This is the boat after the Jan Juc boat, i.e. NOT Mel's boat as the woman in front of me knew someone in it too so she was waving wildly and I couldn't take a photo!


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb