Happy Birthday to me


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 30th 2009
Published: December 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne, Nov 19 - 26

We caught an overnight train from Sydney to Melbourne and arrived at 8am to stifling sticky heat. The train was really comfy with more leg room and seat space than a long haul flight. Unfortunately we didn't get much sleep though so were pretty tired when we eventually got in so went to the air-conditioned comfort of a cinema until it was time to check into the YHA hostel.

During our time in Melbourne we wandered round the amazing shops salivating over gorgeous clothes it would be impractical for us to buy (we can barely carry our bags as it is!) and wandering through the Queen Victoria markets. The market is a frantic place which sells everything from fish and meat to fresh fruit and veg and everything else you could ever need. It was very hectic towards the end of the day when the store holders were all competing to sell the last of their wares. We had to turn down a whole salmon because it just would've been impractical trying to cook it in a hostel kitchen with no oven!

We also spent an enjoyable day on St Kilda beach. We caught a tram to the beach which is only about a half hour from the city. It was very relaxing to sit on the boardwalk and read our books although Simon didn't enjoy being attacked by a swarm of flies that seemed very attracted to him.

Melbourne is a city where any kind of weather can happen all in one day. Along with the unbearable heat of our first day we were treated to an awesome thunderstorm complete with forked and sheet lightning and a torrential downpour. Thankfully the weather was lovely and sunny on my birthday - the 25th. I spent the day being pampered at the hair salon and the nail bar after Simon booked me in for a blow dry and a manicure. It was so nice to be treated like this because these kind of luxuries are not really practical when travelling. So all dolled up and after enjoying a scrummy chocolate birthday cake, a few cans of G&T and a bottle of fizz we headed off to the casino.

Our friend from back home, Ria, joined us as she had just flown to Oz from Asia. It was really good to see a familiar face and we had a fabulous time enjoying good food at a casino restaurant and then trying our luck on the slots and roulette wheel. I think the birthday fairies must have been present because I ended up winning $140! It was so exciting. Unfortunately Simon had to drag me away from the roulette in the early hours because we had to check out the next day.

We picked up a hire car to head off on a road trip to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road. As we left the city, negotiating the tram tracks, other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, the heavens opened and another downpour descended. And there I was thinking I'd never see my waterproof again after leaving New Zealand!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Real food!Real food!
Real food!

Cooked by real chefs and not us
A bay bugA bay bug
A bay bug

A type of tasty seafood


Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 16; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb