Day 12 – Melbourne, The Christies – Thursday 1st October 09


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
October 1st 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first night sleeping with a 2 week old baby … woken briefly twice albeit nothing compared to the parents that actually have to get up and look after her! We got up relatively early and decide to head into city using the train. It appears that the 26km journey takes nearly an hour so we’re not taking high speed transit - however, for a relatively low fare, saves us all the hassle of traffic parking etc. We arrived at Flinders Street about lunchtime and headed to the tourist information office and then into the main shopping areas. We had intended to eat on the south bank but ducked into a shopping arcade where what looked like a quaint tea room with nice cakes would fuel us perfectly. The food was ok, but a touch expensive, none the less lunch was done with 1 vanilla slice shared between us.

From here, we start pounding the streets. We head immediately back round the Yarra down the south bank. Craig asked us to drop into the casino for a bit to have a look, this was the first time we forgot and walked straight past. Oops. The area was nice with lots of bars there to have a beer, some food and chill out. We crossed the bridge down the quay side and jump on the free city circle tram (after nearly getting on the wrong one!). The tram is really busy, and moving slowly, however its free! As its so busy, we don’t get the best views, but none the less we enjoy the experience and jump off round at the newer area of the docklands. After half and hour there, we jump back on the tram around towards Melbourne Central where we head up Elizabeth street. A quick visit in to Myers where we both do a touch of shopping, we start walking back so we can half a drink. We had noticed on the original circle of the south bank that one of the bars had a beer and bubbles offer between 4-6pm, so we head back there for a post evening commute refreshment. We duly oblige on the drinks front, and again fail to pop into the casino for a look for a second time. We jump on the 5.50pm train home to be met again by Craig at Glen Waverley. We arrived home and ordered some take out pizza with Cheryl who had popped over to say hello. A few drinks and that’s the day done - bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb