Aussie RULES!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
August 13th 2009
Published: August 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had a week left in Melbourne and opted out of a trip to Sydney, after all we had come to Melbourne to spend some time with Jody and Stuart. So with just 7 days left in Oz we planned a busy week with lots of activities. The guys had returned to work after a 2 week break so it was down to Me and Michelle to organise our schedule.

Monday - relaxed after a tough weekend drinking - easy.

Tuesday - full of beans we headed out to the Great Ocean Road. Every Australian we met on our travels suggested this popular tourist attraction. For those who don't know.. it's not a theme park, water park, temple or shrine. Its a very long road that basically follows the ocean - the name kinda gives it away. The road goes on for miles and miles and it took us ages to drive from Melbourne to the start. We stopped off lots of times, braving the gusty wind and heading down to different beaches to scribble our names in the sand. The main bit of the Ocean road is where the 12 apostles stick out of the Ocean, crazy shapes with ornate names attract crowds of photo hungry snappers. We didn't make it. To be honest we did try. By the time we reached Lorne Pier (where we sat and ate our cheese sarnies) we had been driving for 6ish hours. The thought of driving back and getting through the rush hour city traffic overcame the urge to see stones in the ocean.

Like true adventurist we didn't want to take the same road back. At Lorne Pier (our furthest point) we found a lady who suggested we followed her through the bush - which would lead us 'somewhere' near the road to Melbourne. She drove fast ... too fast and we lost her on the 2nd corner. Still we ventured on, found 'our' road and got back just in time for tea that night, passing the car keys back to Jody with a sense of achievement that we didn't get lost!

Sunday - I know this doesn't normally come after Tuesday, but looking at our notes and Michelle's excellent 'order of events' I missed something out. Now it would be sensible to go back and stick it before Monday - but this would mean changing the whole blog. So I'll continue....
After our failed visit to the Neighbours set a week ago ... Me, Stu and Shell headed out for another attempt to get on the street. We arrived to find a guided tour in process (they have a Nieghbours mini bus and everything!) but we dodged the crowd and got some snaps in front of all of the houses - even Michelle stole the Ramsey Street sign off the tour group and as Me and Stu walked away embarrassed she got a tour person to take a picture with it!!!

Tuesday evening - The quiz night had been attracting our attention since we arrived and we were pleased to find ourselves sipping beer and ticking all the wrong answers that night. We were poor. We came last. I think we managed 24 out of .. something much higher! Still it was a great quiz which included Karaoke for points, a round called 'trannie or Granny' and much to the horror of everyone in the bar a random fat bloke stripping for a 'bonus' point.

Wednesday - Just remembered Monday we walked to the city and got our Thai visas for a return visit (more later). We also went to the Botanical gardens and the Shrine of remembrance - which was cool.
Back to Wednesday.... we chilled.

Thursday - Chilled in the day. In the evening we revisited St Kilda's Pier with hope of spotting some wild penguins (not something you come across to often in the Mersey). We did - see some penguins that is - in St Kilda, not the Mersey. They were sooooo cool. Me and Shell were the only ones there so ignoring the no photo sign we got some great pictures. Suddenly a group of Japanese tourist turned up out of nowhere. We behaved and stop taking photos - unsure if the National trust were posing as Japanese tourist. Suddenly white flashes of light EVERYWHERE!!... They were taking photo's ... lots of them. There
was me and Michelle being good! we joined in, took out our camera and carried on snapping. The 'mum' of the group approached us, we smiled, but she looked mad. She pointed at our camera and said 'no photo'??!! we were ... slightly confused!

Friday - Chilled some more - hoovered up, cleaned some cups from the previous night. In the week somewhere we had some cracking meals. We (tried) to take it in turns and both Jody and Stu are excellent cooks.

Saturday - ahhh the weekend and a chance to spend a few days relaxing!! We wanted to see any Aussie rules footy match.. so we did. Live at the Ethiad stadium was Carlton Blues V's the Sydney swans. All we had to do was cheer for the right team and unsure of the rules - at the right time. A tram into town and a short walk to the stadium later and soon enough we were ringside (well nearly - about 100 seats up) witnessing a heated contest between two VERY committed sets of players. It was now so obvious why Aussies laugh at premier league players from our home country. This I have to admit is a mans game and I doubt very much if many of our overpaid English premier league prima dona's would last five minutes.

The game was great and we all enjoyed it. Stuart (the biggest non football fan you will ever meet) is already planning his next game and got that excited made up a new chant for the fans!!! or was the change of words accidental Stuart! ;-)

We headed back into town and jumped onto a tram to Lygon street a hip student esq area with just about any type of restaurant you could shake a stick at. The guys chose a great place called La Spaghettata. Balanced on a side walk with warm gas heaters, checkered table clothes, an Italian waiter and huge pepper mills this place looked the business. The food was good. No the food was simply out of this world. It was only pasta in a sauce but it just tasted so so so good. The night continued and a short walk later we were in a park. Night safaris are becoming a common theme in Melbourne and this was no exception. Tonight it was Possum spotting. We saw lots - and the photos will prove that - we actually took quite a few shots... being drunk and all that. A rat looking animal was quite novel and once again, not something you see too much on a night out in the Liv.

After being told off for feeding the little rat faced creatures by a passing Japanese tourist (what is it with these people) we swiftly moved on. Fearing our actions could endanger another animal (that's 2 in 2 nights for us) we headed to a bar called the 'rooftop bar' which was ... on a rooftop! It was a groovy joint and had artificial grass, deck chairs and sported a great view over the city.

Another bottle of wine later (I think at this stage we were on the 8th) we walked over to the docklands to watch the fire show. Fire is released from various bits of concrete on the hour - which everyone seems to wait around for. We needed to get home as all the action started to affect us (or was that the wine). rats.. sorry Possums, fire, fake grass and deck chairs had taken there toll and it was time for bed. A voice out of nowhere.... 'one more bar'... I'll let you guess who suggested that one!!!!!

So the we jumped in a taxi and the guys promised we would like our next venue. We had a drunken conversation with our Egyptian taxi driver. We established he supported Liverpool FC and his favourite player was Ashley Cole?


Our next destination was a gay bar which hosted trannies miming to cheesy songs. 4 bottles of wine and 2 hours of break dancing was enough and we eventually decided to call it a day so we headed back to the flat.. for more wine!

Sunday - Had a great hangover breakfast (if I may say so myself) and slept.

Tomorrow we plan to go to Healsville sanctuary where we can see more Kangaroos and other Australian animals. Maybe we will see some possums .. but sober this time.

We don't normally do the blog in day order but I must admit it's been easier writing. We know it's long and forgive us for waffling on.

2 days left in Oz and then....who knows!!

Lee and Michelle

(PS 3 PAGES OF PHOTOS BELOW!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb