Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
January 7th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The one city in Autralia I liked most was Melbourne. I came back here several times with a break at a Vipassana Meditation Center near Melbourne, some time in the country, and a visit to Great Ocean Road. Since I seldom came back to the same place during this journey it was a good feeling to come somewhere where you know where to go, where the nice places are, and feel a bit more like at home.
Melbourne is one of the biggest cities in Autralia and still I didn't have the impressions of all that stress, noise, and crowded streets one often gets from other big cities in the world. It's a relatively widespread city with the bay of Port Phillip in the south and the Yarra River winding through the center. The modern architecture, a good tram system, the many parks, and most of all the nice location at the mouth of the Yarra make it a pleasant place for tourists. The two parts I spent most of my time in is the CBD, the Central Buissnes Dictrict, a square lattice of streets in the city center with all the highrises, and St. Kilda district at the beachtfront.
In
Kite Surfers in Melbourne´s BayKite Surfers in Melbourne´s BayKite Surfers in Melbourne´s Bay

View towards CDB from St. Kilda beach.
the center I especialy liked the skyline along Yarra River and Flinders Street Station. None of the buildings in Melbourne are really old, off course, but some have an old style achitecture that is beautiful. Among all the tourists the locals behave very buissnes-like as they hurry through the canyons between the skyscrapers of CBD. This is what Manhattan in New York must be like I thought.
Down in St. Kilda is the place to spend free time at the beach or to have an evening out. It has got a lively scene of cafes, bars, and pubs. Street performers entertain cafe guests with fire shows and sword swalloing. Some of them are backpackers funding their stay or their onward travel like this. Since I didn't think myself qualified enough to swallow any metal I tried to find work in other places. Applying as a waiter or a kitchen hand I made some days go by but soon I realized that I was not the only one and short time work was really hard to come by in the city. During that time I met Ira, Isabel, and Felix, three Germans in the same situation like me. After some fruitless
Old Style Church in CBDOld Style Church in CBDOld Style Church in CBD

The main grid of highrises in Melbourne's city center is called CBD (Central Buisness District).
atempts to dig up work accompanied by some nice roof-top sittings during the hostel evenings we decided to leave for fruitpicking jobs in the country.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Flinders Street StationFlinders Street Station
Flinders Street Station

The tram line on the left is the City Circle, a free service circling CBD.
Banks of the Yarra at NightBanks of the Yarra at Night
Banks of the Yarra at Night

Victoria University next to it Flinders Street Station.
Cafe in St. KildaCafe in St. Kilda
Cafe in St. Kilda

St. Kilda District is a place for an evening out. It features lots of bar, pubs, and cafes. Besides downtown it's popular for Backpackers.
Roof Top PartyRoof Top Party
Roof Top Party

The hostel down in St. Kilda District had a roof terrace with view over the bay. A good place for us to have food or talk away the evening with some wine. Here you see Ira, Isabel, and Felix.
Entrance to Luna ParkEntrance to Luna Park
Entrance to Luna Park

Down at the beach in St.Kilda district there´s a funfair called Luna Park. It´s surounded by an old wooden rollercoaster and has got a very special entrance.
Ctiy AnimalsCtiy Animals
Ctiy Animals

This is a Possum, they roam the parks and neighbourhoods in Melbourne.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb