Time to hit the road!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
May 7th 2008
Published: May 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well after a month of crashing at Tarra's in Melbourne (or has it been longer?!?), it might be time to hit the road. We have spent the last few days in Melbourne checking out a few new sights, a few old favorites, and me getting one very bruised and swollen big toe on my foot. And no not from playing footy or something understandable like that, this was from the trecherous activity of walking wearing flip flops in the dark and not seeing a curb! And no I wasn't drunk!

We also took a drive to the Mornington Peninsula, which is on the south eastern tip of Philip Bay, where Melbourne is. It is a really nice drive that along the coast with great views of the turquoise colored waters of the bay, and then around to the other side, which is the rugged open ocean side of Bass Strait. We saw alot more of the colorful little beach houses (see photos from 2 blogs ago), and I did a little research and found out that there are over 1800 of these bathing boxes as they are called in Philip Bay, and most were built in the early 1900's. They are very strictly regulated by the councils as to what color and size they can be, and if you can believe it a 2 metre x 2 metre one in Brighton recently sold for $150,000!

Brett and I also spent another 2 days wandering around the city, looking into lanes, eating the most amazing pizza at Queen Victoria Market, having a few more lattes, and eating at Lygon St. again for some really good pasta. Really, we did more than eat... we did do alot of walking (this was before the toe incident) and Brett did some skateboarding at a few different parks around. We went to another footy match and although it wasn't the greatest games as they weren't playing very good, but I am starting to catch on a bit more to what is going on. And it was Brett's first match, so he had a good time (see the beer in his hand in the pic, you know he is happy!).

So it is down to the last night in Melbourne for awhile and one last pick up of TP at school and one last load of her laundry (I am starting to feel like
The Old Melbourne Gaol (that is jail for us Canadians)The Old Melbourne Gaol (that is jail for us Canadians)The Old Melbourne Gaol (that is jail for us Canadians)

Construction of the jail started in 1841 and was the hanging place of the infamous bush ranger Ned Kelly.
her Mom!). We are heading back to Wollongong to Brett's aunt and uncles, and it will be good to see them and also will be good to get back up that way where it is a bit warmer, but definately going to miss TP and the Percy St. crew!





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

KB and a really big Australian beer.KB and a really big Australian beer.
KB and a really big Australian beer.

Don't worry I didn't drink it!
The waters off of Sorrento, on the Mornington Peninsula which is about hour and half away from Melbourne.The waters off of Sorrento, on the Mornington Peninsula which is about hour and half away from Melbourne.
The waters off of Sorrento, on the Mornington Peninsula which is about hour and half away from Melbourne.

Sorrento was the site of Victoria's first European settlement in 1803, 30 years before the founding of Melbourne.
Brett and Kara at the other London Bridge in Victoria.Brett and Kara at the other London Bridge in Victoria.
Brett and Kara at the other London Bridge in Victoria.

The first one we saw was on the Great Ocean Road, this one was on the Mornington Peninsula.


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb