Bye bye Melbourne!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Richmond
May 1st 2011
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We’re back on our travels again! After 7 months in Melbourne living and working we’re off to New Zealand and the start of our last leg of our round the world trip. Melbourne was a fantastic city, we both loved living there. We got a nice big room, with a big balcony, in a share house in Richmond. It was difficult living with eight other people at times but the location was great with cafes, restaurants and bars all really close, including the bar that has been voted the best cocktail bar in Australia and in the top ten bars in the world, Der Raum. We were a short tram journey into the city and a ten minute walk from the MCG. We were both lucky with jobs and although they were very boring it meant we had the opportunity to enjoy all the city had to offer. Melbourne is very European and not what you would expect form an Australian city, full of amazing bars hidden down laneways, cool cafes and restaurants. Melbourne is also the major sporting city in Australia and we got to see more live sport than I think we’ve ever seen. The Ashes boxing day test was a day I don’t think I will ever forget - I think even Claire quite enjoyed it too. A month before we left we saw the F1 which was an amazing experience, the sound and speed is incredible. We spent two evenings at the Australian Open tennis, seeing Andy Murry win one night and watched an Aussie rules match at the MCG with 83,000 people. I also saw a ‘soccer’ match and even though the quality was terrible was still fun.
As well as all the sport we managed to fit in lots of trips out of the city. We spent a weekend down the great ocean road and a day at the Mornington Peninsular walking through national parks and going to some of the best beaches we‘ve ever seen. When Claire’s Mum and Brother were here we went to Port Douglas for new year and saw the great barrier reef and rainforest and had a trip to Phillip Island to see the penguins. A few weeks before we left we went to Uluru for the weekend, it was great to see the outback and a completely different side of the country.
We both loved Australia, it is such a varied country and much more diverse and interesting than we ever imagined. It was sad to leave Melbourne, it is a fantastic city and one we would happily live in of it wasn’t so far from home. We leave with lots of great memories and feel lucky to have lived there for the short time that we did. Will update soon with stories of NZ, lots love xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th May 2011

wow
glad you are both coming home soon, but what a trip...and not finished yet! Are we gathering to see all your pics when u get back? Of all the places you've been I would love to see NZ the most. I hope that isn't a real tattoo you are sporting in pics, Paul Grocott! Phillip and Kelly's baby due about same time you are back. ENjoy NZ and lovely to hear from you again Auntie Jeanxxxxxx

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb