Melbourne - Frustrating but we did get to say Hi!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Port Melbourne
April 12th 2017
Published: April 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

13th March Melbourne



It is always difficult visiting these cities on the other side of the world and deciding how to spend the time effectively and efficiently.

Today was going to be no exception and then coupled with meeting friends make it doubly difficult.

We berthed at Port Philip a half hour shuttle ride into town.

This was a Bank Holiday in Melbourne, Labour Day and there was also a festival with floats and fancy dress everywhere.

We arrived in the centre to be dropped off at the Eureka Skydeck, one of the tallest residential buildings and you can take the lift from ground level to Level 88 in just 40 seconds.

The Skydeck gives a 360'degree view of the city.

As we arrived on the Southgate side on the river Yarra, there were flocks of people heading to the start of the Parade through the city so very busy.

We were meeting Rachel, John and Heather's daughter who had just moved from Perth and was settling in to this bustling city.

We had brought her some goodies from home!!

So we didn't see much of the city, walked along the waterfront, found a good restaurant called Ludlows and had an excellent lunch.



We had to return to Port Philip early afternoon so any more sight seeing was curtailed.

The early departure from the city was to meet Lin's friends Di and Dave.

Dave was a 10 pound Pom and settled in the area in the 60's.

Again unfortunately, we only had time for a brief catchup and that's what made it more frustrating.

Dave lives out in the suburbs, we called on them when we drove the Great Ocean Road a couple of years ago and know how far it is from their home to the Port.

Dave recalled this is the Port he came into when he first arrived in Australia and how much it has changed in the years since.

They came to meet us on the public transport and it would take an hour or so to return home.

They are coming to the UK soon so I hope we can make it up to them so it isn't as frustrating!!!

To cap it all, we got back on board because it was an early departure, and the ship suffered a power failure which delayed our departure for a couple of hours.



So a frustrating visit all round as we headed back out of Port Philip Bay, unfortunately in the dark for our crossing of the Tasman Sea to visit Milford, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb